Chapter Twenty-One

Everyone stares at the young man standing only a few feet away from them in the small antique store. He stares back at them with an uncertain expression.

     "Keep your hands raised," Says Noah in his authoritative voice and then addresses Tanner who is closest to him, "Tanner, watch him."

He walks over passed the young man and cautiously searches the back room.

     Everyone else keeps their eyes on the young man and takes in his details. He has dark dreads just long enough to brush his shoulders with blond tips. He's tall and very skinny in a way that suggests it's his natural structure and not that he's starving. He stares back at them with big brown eyes and dark lashes set against a roasted almond skin tone. All of that including the angular shape of his face makes Miyonah think he could be a model.

     When Noah finds no one else he pats the stranger down for any weapons before telling him he can lower his arms and walking back over to the group.

"What's your name?" he asks the young man.

"Perry."

"Why did you say you needed our help?"

This seems to trigger something inside him and he begins to panic.

     "My- my partner. My partner went missing and I can't find him. We got split up when we were scavenging so I went back to our base thinking he'd meet me there but he didn't come back. I went looking for him but I couldn't find him. I got here last night and fell asleep in the back room until I heard all of your voices. I need help finding him. I can't do this without my partner."

"Alright, Perry. Calm down. We'll help you find him."

"Thank you!" He says finally smiling, "Thank you so much."

     They all discuss where he last seen him and what exactly happened for them to get split up. Miyonah mentions that they'd be set back from scavenging after helping him but Noah says they could still find supplies as they search for him.

"I need a name and description." Noah says next.

"Okay, he- Are you military?"

"What?"

     "You just seem like... Never mind. Sorry. He's about 5'8'', pretty lean, and he's white. Spiky blonde hair and blue eyes. Um... he was wearing blue jeans and a dirty white T-shirt last time I seen him and I doubt he changed."

"Name?"

"Right. Right, sorry. It's Jericho."

"Is there any place you haven't checked that you think he might be?"

     "Yeah, I haven't been beyond this building yet. I'm thinking he'll probably be somewhere near here. I don't think he left the city without me."

"Alright, just let me talk to my group for a minute."

"Alright." He says still standing there.

"Alone."

"Right! I'll just be over there."

     He walks back into the back room to grab his things while he waits and Noah addresses everyone else.

"You guys are going to sit this one out, alright? I'll take him to find his partner and I'll be back."

"What?" Tanner asks surprised, "I don't trust him. He seems strange."

"I think so too." Agrees Zayna.

"He's kind of beautiful though." Miyonah adds.

They all look at her strangely.

"What? He is."

    "Okay...." Noah continues, "No arguments though. You are all staying here and I'll be back by tonight. I don't need us all getting into trouble again, got it?"

"Fine." They say in unison, "be careful."

     Perry comes back out and Noah meets him at the door of the antique shop after reloading his gun and tucking another knife into his waistband.

     "I'm trusting that you all know how to stay out of sight, yes? I'll see you by tonight." Noah says before walking out with Perry.

The door closed behind them and they were gone, leaving the other four alone for the day.

. . . .

     "We've all been running and fighting a lot today so we should rest for a while. We still need to find supplies though so be ready to leave afterwards." Zayna says to the three of them while signing along with her words.

"Do you think Noah would want us going out?" Asks Miyonah, "He did say to stay out of sight."

"We need supplies. Plus, we won't go far." Assures Tanner.

     She thinks about it for a moment and then agrees. After around an hour they all grab their weapons and duffle bags to go out for supplies.

     "We should stay close together." Zayna says as the door shuts behind them, "Only a store or two down from each other so if something happens we can get there quick. Make sure to check the entire store before you start scavenging and try not to make too much noise so no guns."

"Alright, I'll take the pharmacy a few stores down." Says Miyonah adjusting her backpack.

"You know about medicine?"

     "I know enough. My grandpa was a doctor and he told me a lot about it when we took care of him."

"Okay, what about you, Tanner?"

"I'll take the one two doors down. It looked pretty full when we passed earlier."

"So I'll get the one between those just to make sure nothing was left."

     They agree and walk on unaware of the girl that has been watching them from afar devising a plan. She climbs down from her perch atop the store and makes her way down the street after them, rifle slung across her back.

****Hey, guys. The Decay is still on hold but I guess I forgot to post my last finished chapter. Haha, sorry to keep you waiting! Hope you enjoy and you'll see more as soon as my school is out. Really soon!****