Chapter Seven

It's been three weeks since the accident happened. Two weeks and five days since we've moved. Five minutes since I've thought about my sister and what she started to become. Three seconds since someone has tried to attack me with a stick.

"Ow! Shi-"

    "Language." Noah deadpans. I can't believe he's worried about my cursing in times like this. I snarl and let out a string of curses under my breath. He's above me, face stone hard, holding his hand down to me. I reluctantly take it and take my position again. I'm determined.

"You have to watch your footing. Don't lose focus. You have to be completely aware of yourself."

"Yeah, where have I heard this before?"

"I wouldn't be telling you if you'd watch your footing."

    He comes at me again, full force this time. I take a breath and spin around him just before the tip of the stick gets close enough to jab me. Facing his back now, I hook his leg with my foot and he goes down.

"Yes!" Noah yells getting up. "That's what I'm talking about."

    I finally see that glimmer in his eyes that Miyonah kept telling me about. She said it left him when Sarah... and only showed up when one of us accomplished a new move or hit a target right in the center. The man knew how to do everything in combat. He knew how to use all different weapons and so many styles of combat you'd think he used to be some sort of ninja.

    Over the past few weeks he's been training us with different weapons and fighting techniques. Trying to teach us the basics so we aren't completely useless out here. It's the only thing that keeps my mind off of Sarah. I look forward to it.

    A day after Miyonah woke up we went back to the accident. Noah had us stay hidden a few feet away in the trees while he grabbed two duffel bags and a backpack out of the trunk. I couldn't even look at the car. Didn't want to remember what was inside even though nothing could ever make me stop remembering it. We kept moving for a day after that and then settled down in a shed off the side of the road. There is where we sleep. Here is where we practice. Thirty minutes away in a small clearing surrounded by trees. We didn't want to attract any undead attention to our camp.

    Ever since we've started, I've taken to the gun. Shooting target after target and always ready to do it again. My dad used to take me to the shooting range when he wanted to have father son time. I knew how to shoot a gun but none of the ones he had me use gave as much of a kick as these. I'm getting used to it now.

    Miyonah has thrown herself into training as well. She hasn't talked much since she woke up and it worries me. She just keeps changing. The last thing she told me was she was sick of feeling useless. Ever since that first day three years ago she said she felt weak. She was done. She didn't much like guns but excelled when it came to close range combat. Whether that be with knives, swords, or just her hands.

    Noah has us practice together and we're both beginners so you never know who'll win the match but neither of us care. We just want something to distract us and make us capable.

"What's next?" I ask now. "More combat or are we switching to targets?"

"Now," He says, face solid again, "We head back and then I'm leaving."

. . . . 

    I look to Tanner with question in my eyes but he looks just as confused as me. What does he mean he's leaving? Doesn't he mean we?

"What the hell do you mean you're leaving?" Tanner asks out loud.

    Noah walks by us already heading back and expects us to follow. Of course, we do and neither of us ask him again. Neither of us ask Noah the same question twice though Tanner has to throw in his defiance every now and then. Noah is the only reason we're alive and he is a tad intimidating with all his muscle and skill and height and....