Chapter Seventeen

Noah observes from the back. They all walk along in the woods by the side of the road. It would have been easier to walk straight on the road but it was too open. Both Noah and Zayna had said it together.

"Not the road. We need cover."

     From the back he could keep an eye on everyone and make sure the girl didn't wander off causing Tanner to scamper after her. He noticed the chemistry between them and found it funny at first. How he would stare at her and she would scowl back at him. But now it was different. When they came back from wherever they went in the woods earlier, the chemistry changed. They were playful.

     When they were training he could see her pulling back before a blow so it didn't hurt as much. He even saw her smiling and laughing with him. He heard the teasing way they spoke to each other and the new glint in Tanner's eye when he looked at her. He was surprised. He didn't think Zayna would like Tanner back.

     Now, Zayna walked in the front with Lucas and her body language indicated she wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone. Not after what happened earlier. Tanner walked a short distance behind her and looked like he wanted to say something but didn't know what to say. He would speed up every now and then and then slow down with a quiet sigh. Miyonah looked like she perked up a bit every time Tanner went to say something to Zayna. Then he'd fall back and her shoulders would fall with him.

Huh, thinks Noah, she's rooting for them.

"Um, Noah?" Asks Miyonah, "Can we take a pee break?"

"Anyone else need to relieve themselves?" He asks snapping out of his thoughts quickly.

"I'm sure Lucas needs to after that water." Miyonah replies fast.

     "Alright everyone, break time. I'll take Lucas so he can go. Everyone stay with someone else. Tanner, come with us."

     "No!" Exclaims Miyonah once again, "Um, he doesn't have to go. Him and Zayna can take inventory."

     "Didn't you have to go, Miyonah? Zayna can go with you and Tanner will come with us. Okay, let's-"

"I have to change my pad!"

Everyone looks at Miyonah with puzzled expressions.

"So..." she continues, "I'd rather go alone. I'll stay close. I promise."

     Noah clears his throat and nods, walking off in another direction with Lucas. Miyonah winks at Tanner and jogs in the opposite direction. Tanner, understanding why she did it, turns to Zayna who's sitting on the ground going through the bags for inventory. He takes a seat almost knee to knee with her and pretends to take interest in the bags.

     He glances up at her while she goes through the food and takes note of the sun filtering through her curls as she sits. She looks up and he smiles hoping to get her to lighten up. She only raises her eyebrows with a bored expression.

"You look mad."

"I always look mad."

"Have I told you you look cute when you're angry?"

"'Cute' sounds like something reserved for a kitten. Not a girl who kills gnashers to survive."

"You're right. I should have said hot but I figured you might get the wrong impression."

Humor taints her emerald eyes when she asks, "What impression is that?"

"Exactly the one you should get."

"But you said wrong."

"There goes my word choice again."

     Zayna smiles and Tanner smiles wider with her. He thought he'd do anything to make her smile like that everyday. After a short while of watching each other, she spoke.

"Thank you, Tanner. You know, for trying."

     "Anything to see you smile." He says and takes her hand. She looks down at it and after a moment she thinks, I guess we're really trying this and scoots closer so their knees touch.

"I murdered a man in front of you earlier." She says with a serious expression.

"I know." He replies rubbing her fingers.

"You've never seen anything like that. Neither has Miyonah. How are you both okay?"

This time, Tanner's expression goes dark and his fingers still.

"Let's say recent events have pretty much hardened us to this."

"Alright." She says understanding and they sit in silence, watching each other.

     Though Zayna wonders what's taking the others so long to get back, it hasn't crossed Tanner's mind. Instead his eyes wander down to the scar running out from her shorts down her inner thigh. He has a sudden urge to trace it with his finger so he snaps his eyes away before he gets any more ideas. Looking up, Zayna still watches him and he feels his face heat at the realization she had seen him staring at her thighs. He clears his throat.

"Alright!" Says Noah walking back towards them, "Let's get moving."

     Miyonah comes back at the exact same time and Zayna is already up and waiting for Lucas. They all start to walk again and Miyonah nudges Tanner giving him questioning eyes. He only shrugs and smiles to himself. She rolls her eyes.

"Last time I go out of my way to get you two alone. I deserve details."

     She slows her pace and Tanner begins to walk alongside Zayna. He feels good knowing that they're still on common ground. That she didn't close herself off from him again. His hand brushes hers and she glances over giving him the slightest curve of her mouth as an acknowledgement.

     Noah and Miyonah watch from behind and smile at their backs. Tanner and Zayna didn't know that they had been watching them as they talked during the 'restroom break'. No one had to relieve themselves at all.

     Miyonah shimmies her shoulder against Noah and gives him an I did that smile. He smiles back and motions for her to catch up with the others.

     Walking behind everyone again, Noah resumes his observance. Miyonah's little plan to get them alone and spy on them made him feel like a teenager again. He sighs inwardly and shakes his head.

These kids are rubbing off on me.

****You aren't mistaken! I know! Two chapters in two days. It didn't take me another two weeks! Haha. I'm trying. I hope you enjoyed though it's kind of a filler.

Questions To The Reader:

1.) How is the pacing?

2.) Character building?

3.) Would you be interested in seeing how I picture the characters? 

If the answer to #3 is yes, I may do some searching and find someone that resembles the characters as I see them. Just an idea. Tell me what you think! Until next time, keep reading!****