Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Nixon Edington

“I’m not great at cooking,” I told Miranda. She was sitting down on a stool- still wearing my clothes- just staring at me.

I had asked what she wanted to eat, but I couldn’t really make anything- even if it was something as simple as scrambled eggs.

Being prince and living in the castle- there was never a reason for me to visit the kitchen.

“It’s cool, I’ll make it,” she said, getting up and walking toward me.

The teasing smile on her face showed the amusement she felt at my lack of cooking skills.

“Are you going to let me go today?” Miranda asked.

We were currently sitting in the dining room, eating.

“I’m doing this for your safety,” I replied, knowing fully well she wouldn’t understand what I meant.

“I’ve been pretty safe before. Actually, I think I feel in danger right now. You know, since I’m kidnapped and all,” she sarcastically remarked.

“Don’t tell me you felt safe with your no good Rogue father?” My tone was hostile, and I hated that. It wasn’t my intention to speak to my mate in that manner.

“My dad hadn’t done anything bad. Even if he had, at least he doesn’t go around kidnapping people,” she snapped, getting up from the table.

Miranda stomped out of the dining room, looking furious. It took me a moment to realize she was gone.

I ran after her to find she was once again trying to escape.

“I thought you understood I’m not letting you go,” I said, catching her hand that was about to turn the knob of the front door.

She didn’t look surprised that I caught her before leaving, but disappointment was clear in her face.

I sighed, trying to move her to stand in front of me.

“I’m not doing this on purpose Miranda. I wish you understood that,” I told her, wrapping one of my arms around her waist.

She felt so right in my arms. I couldn’t help the thoughts crossing my mind by having her pressed so close to me.

“Who are you?” She asked me, her beautiful green eyes staring at me with a curiosity in them that made me change my mind.

I had already made the mistake of calling her my mate, but she wasn’t ready to know about our world yet.

“If you want to go, you can. I won’t stop you,” I said to her, regretting my words as I spoke them.

A strange pain started to form in my chest. I couldn’t really describe it. Miranda must’ve noticed it because soon after she was looking at me with a worried expression.

“I’m fine,” I told her, putting a hand on my chest, willing the pain to go away.

“I’ll drop you off wherever it is that you’re going,” I offered, not really thinking of giving her another option.

She didn’t seem fazed by my words at first.

“Miranda, I’m letting you go. Given, you were not kidnapped,” I said to her.

She finally seemed to snap out of her daze, because she started grinning at me.

“Really? You’re not joking or anything? Or saying that you’ll let me go and then killing me?” She asked, her tone playful, but I knew she wanted me to assure her that I was really letting her go- no strings attached.