Filler Chapter - Sorry

Sorry, this chapter is preeeetty short. I was having some minor writers' block, and I didn't really know how to proceed to the next piece in the plot, so this is all I have for you guys right now :<

Sodapop took me home after that. My mind seemed to be blank the entire time. The other guys seemed upset. I don't know why. It was just some cripple in the street.

When I got home, Soda went into the backyard with the ax, and Red was in the kitchen. She didn't look like herself. She was wearing a blouse and a circle skirt, and penny loafers. It looked odd on her. Her hair was tied up in pin curls. She looked like a housewife. I didn't like it.

“Hello,” she greeted me curtly, stirring something in a pot on the stove.

“Why do you look like a girl?” I asked.

“Gee, thanks.”

“No—why are you wearing a dress?” I asked, throwing myself down on the couch. I was pretty light-headed, and didn't feel like standing.

“Because apparently I've been reduced to a woman that belongs in the house, making sandwiches for men.”

“Nah. We don't give women switchblades. Where did you even get that dress?”

“I went shopping the other day, remember?”

“Oh. Yeah,” I said, running a hand through my hair. I felt better now. That guy had really creeper me out though. Not as much as he had freaked out the other guys though. They looked like they were gonna cry. I don't know why though. It was just a crippled hobo.

“Speaking of the other day, why did you do that with the car?” I asked her.

She glared at me from the corner of her eye. Well, better apologize. “Sorry I wouldn't let you come with us today.” Ugh, women.

“And?”

“And what?” I asked.

“I don't know,” Red shrugged, slipping the plain felt floor-length dress over her head. I was about to shield my eyes, but it turns out she was wearing regular clothes underneath. Red donned a sleeveless plain white t-shirt with the sleeves cut off,. Her shirt was tucked into a pair of faded blue jeans, that were held up by her leather belt with the W buckle. What probably stood out most from her ensemble was her jacket and her sneakers. Her jacket was a tight-fitting black leather aviator's jacket, and it had so many pockets and buckles and straps that I got confused just looking at it. Her shoes, however were really simple—a pair of low red converses.

“Your style never changes, huh?” I asked, yawning.

She rolled her eyes. “Sh, no, why should it?”

“No reason.”

“Fine.”

“Fine!”

I sat there for a while, and my eyelids felt heavy. I closed them and sighed, feeling a cold hand press against my forehead. I opened my eyes and looked around, to find Red sitting next to me, her lips pursed as she shook her head.

“Are you always running a fever?” she asked me.

“No, really just since you arrived.”

“Wow, that sure makes me feel swell,” she replied sarcastically. I grinned half-heartedly, looking at Red. She stared into my eyes with puzzled interest.

“You have the coolest eyes, you know that? Like...I don't really even know...Maybe like leaves on a cloudy sky. They're all green and silver. It's pretty.”

“Gee, thanks. Now I'm a pansy with pretty eyes.”

Red shook her head seriously. “No, really. How about manly, pretty eyes?”

I sighed. “Well your eyes aren't run of the mill either. I ain't seen eyes like yours in a while.”

“What's that supposed to mean?”

I shrugged tiredly. “They look like gold got frozen into some ice, I guess. Can't really describe it...well, they're interestin' to look at.”

Red looked at me, puzzled. Then she cleared her throat. “Well, your girl must love your eyes.”

“I don't have one. Girls don't really seem to notice me.”

Red burst out in heaving laughing. “You have to be joking!

I stared at her in confusion. “Why would I be joking?”

She caught her breath, and looked at me like she was sizing me up. “Really? Well let me tell you something Ponyboy, girls notice you. They definitely notice you.”

I frowned, still confused. “What makes you say that?”

Red just looked at me like I was stupid. “Well, you and your brothers are good-looking. Girls notice you guys.”

I laughed. “They notice Sodapop, definitely—he looks like a movie star, who wouldn't notice him—and they notice Darry, he looks tuff, cool, smart. But I'm not a looker like either of them.”

Red rolled her eyes. “You and Soda look a lot alike y'know. Haven't you noticed that when girls pass you on the street, they stare?”

“No, I haven't noticed it because it hasn't happened.”

“You're so blind.”

“Can you just...just—”

“Stop? Okay. Fine. Whatever floats your boat,” Red said, getting up and heading into the hall.

Girls are too confusing.

A/N

So if you vote on this one or simply like the reading, bless your soul, because I'll be honest - this one sucked. Well, thank you for reading, I promise I'll update really soon, I have some ideas, but I need to jot them down before I decide whether or not I'll post them.