The Four Princes

We approached the house almost silently, so that the huddle didn't notice us. Red appeared intensely interested in what was going on. That apparently changed quickly, though, when we stepped onto the cracked sidewalk. She instantly seemed to regret her decision to come over here, and it looked as if she was trying not to cringe.

“Go back,” she murmured tensely. “Now. We're going back.”

“What? But you're the one that—” I began to protest.

“Something's wrong. They shouldn't be—” she interjected, wheeling around.

But Two-Bit grabbed the back of her jacket. “You brought us over here, so now we're gonna find out what's goin' on. This place has been empty for years—we're gonna find out why there're suddenly people here.”

“Two-Bit...” she breathed, but then the people noticed us.

“Well, hello!” said a woman, turning to smile warmly at us. She was very vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place her. She had long, wavy, almost-black hair, and silver eyes that seemed to bore into you. Her lips were coated in red lipstick, and she was so willowy that she seemed to be able to bend into loops. She had a skittish air about her, but her smile seemed sincere.

“Howdy there, ma'am,” he smiled, approaching her and holding out a hand. She looked at it for a moment, then timidly took it and smiled nervously.

“I'm Two-Bit—” he began to introduce himself before she interjected.

“I know you are. And that right there is Ponyboy. My, Pony, have you ever grown!” she exclaimed, releasing Two-Bit's hand while his jaw hung open, and coming down to the sidewalk to me. I felt Red tense even more, so I slowly put my arm around her.

“I remember when you were wee little, Ponyboy. Such a cute child. Now you're all grown up though, into a very handsome young man, I must say. You look like your father...but you have your mother's eyes!” she said cheerfully, and I felt my face turn red. What the heck?

“Uh...thank you, ma'am...” I responded anxiously.

“Oh, don't be so shy!” she laughed. “Who is this pretty little lady?” she asked politely, smiling at Red. “I don't believe I've met you!”

“I'm Red,” she said curtly, glaring at the woman. Her smile flickered. I poked Red in the ribs, giving her a look that said, I know this woman is the strangest person ever, but be nice until we figure out what's going on. Red rolled her eyes at me, giving the woman a fake smile. “Hello. You are...?”

“Moving in? Why yes, we are! I used to live here! Or were you referring to my name? Of course you were! My name is Kathalia Prince, but you can call me Thalia. And these are my children, Dakota, Chloe, and Alexander! That other one isn't mine though, just a nice boy that happened to drop by.”

Ricky leaned around Chloe and waved. Long-time-no-see, I thought. I could feel the confusion on my face. I looked to the other three behind Mrs. Prince.

Chloe looked like some souped up supermodel. She had a medium-length blonde hair pulled into a ponytail, but her blonde looked fake. Her dull blue eyes seemed somewhat distant and cold, like she considered herself above us—like a Soc. She wore bright pink lipstick, and a tight pink dress to match showing her curves. So much makeup covered her face that I wondered vaguely if you could peel it off like a mask—but she applied it well at least, not like the stupid broads around here. She was pretty, but not my type—though Two-Bit was eyeing her up.

Alexander had thick strawberry-blond hair that would have been messy, had he not greased it back. There was a spatter of freckles across his cheekbones, and he had dark, curious ocean-green eyes. He was a little taller than me, and I figured he was somewhere around Soda's age, maybe a year younger. He would have reminded me of Soda, but he seemed...odd...to me. What I didn't like was how he was regarding Red interestedly. He wore nothing but a t-shirt with an unbuttoned button-up over it, and a pair of well-worn jeans.