Chapter Nineteen

*Lilah POV*

I paused outside the Great Hall, brushing my limp hair behind my ear. The loud voices flowing from the Hall cocooned me, rumour's already beginning to form around Nic and I's breakup yesterday.

I entered the Great Hall, a false sense of confidence filling me as the hall filled with silence, apparently preoccupied with my entrance. I stopped by the Gryffindor table, looking out at the room, willing myself not to flinch at the hateful glares and the curious eyes.

"Can I help you?" I called out, a cold glare settling on my face.

I sat down by Marlene, sipping my pumpkin juice casually as Alice and Frank gaped openly at me. "Yes?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"N-nothing," Frank stumbled, feeling uncomfortable under my inquisitive stare.

"Okay," I drawled out, biting into a pastry.

"So what happened with you and Nicholas yesterday? I heard that you had a pretty sexy bra," Marlene wiggled her eyebrows, playing the part of a worried but curious friend.

I stared down at my plate sadly, replying, "I told him that I loved him and I wasn't lying, I still do but he-he, let's just say that he was keeping something pretty important from me,"

"And you aren't?" She questioned, resulting in a confused look from me. "Don't think I haven't noticed, I just know that you'll tell me when you're ready is all so I didn't push it,"

I guess I wasn't as discreet as I believed.

"That's different," I mumbled, "My secret doesn't kill anyone."

Understanding lit her eyes and that's when I knew why she was my best friend because despite not spending large amounts of time together, we understand each other and the unspoken words left between us. "No," She breathed out, touching her left forearm unconsciously.

"Yeah," I sighed, holding my head in my hands.

"No wonder you look like shit," She commented, smirking playfully.

"Bitch,"

"What just happened?" Frank whispered to Alice, earning a confused look in return.

"Like I'd have a clue,"

"Oh, there he is," Frank nudged Alice to look at the Great Hall entrance.

I turned in my seat with the rest of the Hall, looking upon the battered man with mixed emotions. He walked slowly towards the Ravenclaw table, holding his ribs and wincing as he walked. His face was no longer the lovable tan but instead a mix of black and blue.

My eyes stung at the sight of him, turning around quickly only to face the sympathetic faces of my friends.

"Don't look at me like that," I snapped, a tear escaping.

"Only because you're feeling like shit doesn't mean you can take it out on us," Marlene snapped back, "we're only trying to be good friends but we can leave if you want,"

"No," I mumbled lowly, "sorry for being such a git, I didn't mean to snap, just please don't look at me like I'm some kicked puppy,"

"It's alright," Frank reassured, smiling softly at me.

Frank and Alice had finally gotten together at the beginning of October, took them long enough!

"So what actually happened to Nicholas?" I asked curiously, taking another bite of my pastry.

"You haven't heard?" Marlene screeched, scooting closer to me.

"Yes, of course, I have, between breaking up with my boyfriend, causing a scene and running to the common room after I totally had time to stick around and gossip," I replied sarcastically, rolling my red-rimmed eyes.

"Oh yeah, right," Marlene remembered, a blush forming on her face. "Okay so after you left yesterday, apparently James was there and saw what happened-"

"Yeah, I saw him when I left-"

"Shush, listen to the captivating story! Anyways, so James saw it and everyone knows how protective James can be over his friends and how he has a reckless streak-"

"We're not friends," I interjected, once again interrupting her explanation, earning a deadly glare in return.

"Well he still considers you a close friend so he obviously wanted to protect you and well he looked really angry and he jumped in," Marlene finished.

"What do you mean 'he jumped in'?" I asked hesitantly, not sure if I wanted to know the rest.

"As in after you left, James was obviously furious at Nicholas because of his deep love for you-"

I cut her off, "He doesn't-"

"He does," she said with finality, "and he fought with Nicholas - muggle style,"

"Muggle style?" I asked amused.

"Muggle style," She nodded her head. "You know how they fight with their hands instead of wands in those karate movies? Well they did that,"

"I'm not quite sure whether to be mad that he beat up the guy I'm in love with or to laugh,"

"Maybe settle by thanking him? I mean you don't have to forgive the git for well being a git but he was trying to be a good friend," She suggested through a mouth of scrambled eggs. "I'm going to miss these when we leave," she mumbled sadly.

"Yeah, I think I might just try that," I smiled, happy that despite the situation I still had a few friends and that there was the possibility of gaining a lost one.

"Okay so go do it," She gestured down the table, small flecks of egg spitting from her mouth.

"Lovely," commented Frank who looked mildly disgusted.

I got up from the table, ignoring the shocked look upon Marlene's face as she realised that I was taking her advice.

"Didn't think she'd actually do it," I heard her mutter as I walked towards the Marauders.

My hands fidgeted nervously as I approached them, sitting casually beside James as I stole a slice of his toast.

The group quickly fell silent, staring at me in shock but also hope? I couldn't be sure.

"Hey, Li!" Peter waved enthusiastically between bites of his bacon.

"Hey Pete," I smiled graciously, thankful that he had interrupted the silence. I turned towards James, glancing down at his swollen and bruised knuckles.

"I appreciate what you did yesterday," I started.

He shrugged it off, muttering a, "He deserved it,"

"Doesn't mean that I don't appreciate it any less so thanks, I guess," I awkwardly bobbed my head, unsure what to do next I move to stand.

"Does this mean you forgive me?" He asked, biting his lip as his eyes pleaded with me.

"No," I forced out, staring into his eyes that quickly brimmed with sadness and guilt, "but I'm willing to try."

"Yes!" He screamed out, fist pumping in the air victoriously.

The eyes of Dumbledore looked down upon us, unbeknownst to us, twinkling in amusement, as he was all too aware of our great future to come.

"I'll see you around," I nodded, moving to return to my previously occupied seat.

"Do you want to sit and eat with us?" He asked, pouting up at me.

"Don't push it," I warned, walking away from the boy with the first genuine smile I had worn since my argument with Nicholas - the boy who was currently glaring at me from across the Hall, and I, too preoccupied with the thought of rekindling my friendship with a certain marauder, was too blind to see it.

--

A bit early but I just had to post it!

Let me know what you guys thought:D

As always, feel free to chuck a comment, vote, follow or whatever else your heart desires:)