Chapter Twenty Two

*Lilah POV*

I stumbled out of bed early Saturday morning, eager for breakfast as I quickly pulled on a pair of black muggle gym pants that I had stolen from Marlene and a dark blue sweater, jumping awkwardly around the room as I attempted to force my feet into my black converse without having to untie them.

"You alright there?" A voice timidly questioned, an amused yet shy look adorning her face.

"Just fine Evans," I smiled hesitantly, running a hand through my hair awkwardly.

"I assume you're getting ready for quidditch tryouts?" She tried to continue the conversation, playing with the hem of her green shirt.

"Shit! That's today?" I hurried around the room, getting ready as fast as I could.

"Yeah, it is. Did you forget?"

"Yeah, James said that he would-" I stopped, remembering his harsh words from the previous week.

"Remind you?" She finished for me, sensing my moment of vulnerability.

"Yeah, that," I waved off, tying my braid with a hair tie before heading towards the door. I saw Lily stand awkwardly by the foot of my bed, not sure what to do now. "Have you had breakfast yet?" I questioned softly, deciding to take pity on her.

"No," She shook her head, her eyes hopeful.

"Well come on then."

--

I raced out onto the pitch with my broom in hand, slightly out of breath.

Sirius raised his eyebrow at me from the front of the group, standing beside a very professional looking James, before the group split up.

James followed Sirius' line of sight, a scowl on his face once he saw me. "Great," he mumbled, stalking away.

"Git," I grumbled, glaring at his retreating figure.

What a bloody wanker.

"What position are you trying out for?" Sirius waltzed over to me, an easy grin lighting his face.

"Chaser," I replied, figuring that it was time to stop being petty. "You?"

Surprise flickered across his face before it lit up, "Beater," he mimicked swinging a bat.

"We're all good, yeah?" I asked hesitantly, glancing shyly up at him as I played with my hands.

"I'd like that, Lil' Lupin," He smiled fondly, messing my hair up affectionately.

"Hey!" I pouted up at him.

"We better get into our groups before James decides to brutally murder us," He laughed, pointing towards the fuming quidditch captain. "That's the chasers group, good luck!"

"You too!" I called over my shoulder, a happy smile lighting my face as I made my way over to the group.

I stopped at the group, taking the time to observe the four others trying out for a chaser position. The only female besides myself looked to be in her third year and also a little green – perhaps she was nervous? There was Frank Longbottom, a good friend of mine along with two boys who appeared around the same age as me and had a head full of ginger.

"Lilah!" Frank called out, waving at me to come closer. "I didn't know you were trying out for quidditch as well,"

"Yeah, Minnie asked me to," I bobbed my head awkwardly, shooting a small smile to the others.