23 | THE FIRST MAGIC

VanCleef slowed the horses to a canter as soon as Klaven's tower was out of sight. For a long time Idira remained by the back window, anxious, waiting for Papa's men to appear on the horizon, but no one emerged out of the billowing clouds of dust. The horses cantered on. Midday approached, hot and dry. Lulled by the movement of the coach and the rising heat, Idira gave up and returned to her place beside Arinna, who stared out the window, keeping a vigil of her own.

Soon, the dark smudge of Moonbrook's buildings appeared on the horizon, distorting in the heat. VanCleef called to the horses, the beat of their hooves slowed to a trot, then a walk. The coach lurched to a halt beside a bristly stand of scrub. A cloud of dust rolled past the windows carrying tumbleweed with it. High above a vulture wheeled in giant circles, silent, searching for its next meal.

A creak came from the front of the coach as VanCleef jumped down. He paused beside the coach's door to look in at Idira and Arinna. A fine coating of dust covered his face. He nodded at them and moved to the back. The coach's back end lifted as the troll left the ledge.

'I can't take you any further without endangering you. Can you make your way back home from here?' VanCleef asked Unambi.

'I be stayin' wit da girl,' the troll answered, quiet.

Idira crept to the back window and peeked out. VanCleef stood with his hands on his sword grips, facing the troll, who didn't seem able to stand up straight. Bent at the waist, Unambi leant forward, his strange three-digit hands hanging down to his knees. He sank down into a crouch and rested his wrists on the tops of his thighs, his movements fluid, graceful. He looked up at VanCleef, eyeing him, sharp.

'Ya don' be knowin' da magic she be havin', so ya be thinkin' da trolls be knowin'.' He jerked his head at the coach. 'She be da reason ya be catchin' Unambi.'

VanCleef crossed his arms, his expression hard under the layer yellow dust. 'And do you know?'

Unambi shook his head. 'Dere be no name for dat but I be knowin' dis much, she be carryin' da mojo o' da gods.'

'So it's troll magic. Can you get it out?'

The troll scoffed and rubbed one of his fat fingers under his nose. 'Dat be no troll magic, mon. Dat be somethin' bigga' den dat. Much bigga'.'

'How big?'

Unambi looked uneasy. He shifted his weight, bouncing a little on his toes. 'Da first magic. Da magic o' da world.'

VanCleef uncrossed his arms, startled. He glanced back at the coach. Idira darted back, hoping he hadn't seen her.

'Da witch docta's be havin' an old story for dat,' Unambi continued, keeping his voice low. 'Da light she be carryin' . . . dat be the first magic, da one all o' dem otha's be comin' from.'

Idira edged closer to the window, to see. VanCleef stared at the troll, disbelieving.

'You are certain?'

Unambi shrugged. 'Unambi be knowin' enough, but he jus' be a Gurubashi warrior. If ya want ta be knowin' all, ya be wantin' a witch docta'.' He chuckled. 'If ya be livin' long enough ta be catchin' one.'

'Your word is enough. Do you know how to stop it?'

'Ya don' be stoppin' dat magic, mon. Dat girl be like dat for a reason, she be chosen for somethin' big. All ya can do is protect her until da Light be doing what it came here ta do.'

'Will it hurt her?'

The troll didn't answer, he just looked up at VanCleef, enigmatic. He glanced over his shoulder into the distance.