38 | NO LONGER A GIRL

Wrapped in blankets within Unambi's hammock, Idira dreamed of Khadgar. He walked alone in a strange, sunken city, passing odd domed buildings constructed from massive ashlars of dark green stone. They crouched low along the city's circular walkways, as though bowing in worship to the vast, angular dome towering above them in the city's centre. From the apex of the central dome, a swirling pillar of white light rotated up into the night sky. Beams of light shot through it, flaring bright as they wove together, intricate.

His arms crossed over his chest, Khadgar scanned the skies, as though searching for something, his eyes moving over the constellations of stars and two moons looming large and heavy on the horizon. Idira stepped closer, expecting to see a younger version of the man from her childhood dream. He turned, his profile emerging from the shadows into the glare of the pillar's light. She stared at him, incredulous. He looked exactly the same as she remembered him from the balcony. Did he not age at all?

'Who are you, and why do you trouble my dreams so?' he asked, his voice resonant, deep and refined. A little thrill ran through Idira at the sound of his voice, it was better than she had imagined it would be. She circled him, drinking in the details of his blue cloth and leather tunic, collar and gloves. Across his back he wore a sturdy wooden staff, its crest carved into the shape of a raven, the gems of its eyes pulsed like a beating heart, slow, emanating power. Beneath the raven's talons, three blue amulets carved with magical symbols hung from leather straps, each of the amulets glowing within a halo of blue light. The raven's eyes flared. Khadgar turned, wary, and pulled his staff free. He held it up. The staff brightened, crackling with violet energy.

'Is it you?' he whispered. 'Show yourself.'

Idira stopped and looked behind her, suddenly self-conscious. He couldn't sense her, could he? No, impossible. He was on another planet and she was dreaming. She glanced up and met his eyes. She bit her lip. He was looking right at her, or rather through her. He looked older than VanCleef with his tousled silver hair and careworn expression, although he carried it well, his tired features offset by his strong jaw, straight nose, and steel-grey eyes. Several days worth of stubble covered his jaw. She backed up, feeling intimidated by his powerfully built, tall frame. From a safer distance, she eyed him. It was really him, in the flesh, the silver-haired hero of Azeroth, charismatic and handsome.

His staff flared bright. He stepped back, startled. Now he looked right at her, his jaw slack.

'The violet Light belongs to a child?' he whispered, astonished. 'No, it cannot be.'

'You can see me?' Idira asked, incredulous. He continued to look at her, examining her, moving his staff from side to side.

'Wait!' she spluttered, indignant, as the light from his staff passed over her once more. 'I'm not a child! I'm almost twelve-and-a-half.'

He didn't answer her, nor did he even seem to realise she was speaking, instead he carried on looking at her, assessing her. 'It is the same Light as in my dreams,' he murmured to himself. 'So rare. But still, a child, how is it possible?'

He shook his head, resigned, and took a step back. He bowed and addressed her, formal. 'I would know more of the dreams you have given to me about Azeroth's future, and the orc you call Gul'dan and what I must do to stop him.' He stepped closer once more, his eyes narrowing. He let out a little exhalation of frustration. 'It's so hard to see you, you shift and waver so.'

Idira stared at him. How could her Light be in his dreams?

'Can you speak?' he asked, urgent.

'Yes. Can't you hear me?' Idira answered, impatient. Maybe she just needed to talk louder. 'Who's Gul'dan?' she shouted.

'Wait!' His eyes widened, alarmed. He lunged after her, his gloved hand reaching out to grasp her shoulder. She felt a shock as his hand passed through her, warm and tingly. 'Come back! I don't understand the dreams. Why do you show me such things, of an orc who is dead yet I must stop before he destroys Azeroth? Why do you come to me?' he asked, anguished. 'I am not even in Azeroth anymore!' He faded away.