40 | FREEDOM

Idira didn't waste any time, now they had the chance to escape, all she could think about was getting out, before something else happened and they would never get away. She hurried to gather whatever she could, blankets, clothes, plates, the silver cutlery and the gold candelabra, stuffing all of it into the leather satchels they had packed in Moonbrook all those long months ago. She took the books too, she couldn't bear to leave them behind. Unambi came back from raiding the galley, carrying provisions and pots for cooking. He had found Blackie hiding between the cupboards and managed to coax her into her basket.

Holding Vanessa's hand, Idira followed Unambi down the scaffolding, walking the same path she had taken eleven months ago, trying to ignore the sounds of the serpents in the waters thrashing on the other side of the ship, feeding on the bodies Unambi had thrown over, to keep them occupied while they made they way out of the cavern on the little rowboat. She had looked for Kip, but he was gone, she wondered if Unambi had pitied him, refusing to leave him to rot like VanCleef and the champions.

Vanessa walked beside Idira, silent and withdrawn, her eyes blank, seeming much older than her almost six years.

They reached the boat. Unambi loaded it with their belongings, his armour and daggers. Idira glanced over her shoulder, uneasy. Everywhere, the bodies of the dead lay scattered along the path up to the tunnel, the remains of the gate's timber splintered outwards, jagged, like the sharp teeth of the serpents below.

'Let's be leavin' dis place,' Unambi murmured as he lifted Vanessa into the boat. Idira slipped in after her and sat down beside her, reaching up to take Blackie's basket from Unambi. She settled the basket onto her lap, just like when they arrived, only this time Blackie was quiet, as if she sensed her freedom was coming, too.

Vanessa looked up at the ship as Unambi cast off, expressionless. Idira wrapped her arm around her niece's shoulders. In the space of less than a year she had lost both her mother and her father, both of them to violent deaths. Idira tightened her hold on Vanessa as the boat wobbled under Unambi's efforts to row it. He cursed, quiet, struggling to work the pair of oars made for human use. The boat turned in a circle several times, and bumped against the dock more than once before he found his way and settled into the rhythm of rowing, pulling the little boat across the dark waters towards the gates.

Idira kept her gaze on the sliver of light, its sunbeams playing over the black-dark waters of the cavern, brightening and dulling whenever clouds passed over the sun. The scent of sea air beckoned, growing in strength with each passing moment. A gull cried, piercing the dead silence within the cavern, promising freedom. Idira lifted her face to the light, savouring the sun's warmth, listening to the splash of the oars as Unambi rowed on, determined, distancing them from the hated ship with each powerful stroke.

The memory of the dream with Khadgar flashed into Idira's mind, unbidden. She wondered where he was now, if he had found out about the one called Gul'dan. Maybe he was fighting him, even now. She hoped he was safe.

The boat slid into the narrow opening between the doors of the water gate, the space so tight, Unambi had to draw in the oars and pull them through, using his hands and the boat's momentum to drag them between the gates, their sides as thick as the length of the whole rowboat. They emerged out into the late afternoon sunshine, the sea air buffeting them, making Idira's hair blow around her face. The boat bobbed, playful in the choppy waters. Idira smiled. Free. They were free. Finally, it was over.

'Ya got anyplace ya want ta be goin'?' Unambi asked, settling the oars back in the water. He turned his face towards the wind, breathing deep, savouring the fresh, salty air.

Idira nodded, she had already thought it out a thousand times while trapped within VanCleef's ship.

'Follow the coast north,' she pointed past the lighthouse. 'Let's go home, to the farm. No one will be there, I'm sure of it. We'll be safe. You'll be safe.'