69 | AN OPEN DOOR

Idira hurried through the library's atrium into the cover of the garden and peered out from behind one of the trees at the front desk, praying Duncan would still be at the Main Reception. The atrium lay almost deserted. She glanced at the clock above the library's entrance, hanging suspended in thin air. Seven-thirty pm. Of course. Dinner time. She scoffed. Evening meals were a grand affair in the Academy; three courses, silver service, not that she had enjoyed very many of them, however.

Duncan popped up from behind one of the desks, looking stressed as usual. She looked for the others, but barring the guards there was no one else around, thank the Light. She had a plan, not a very good one, but it would have to do. As much as Khadgar had intuited her circumstances, he still didn't know she was due to be kicked out of Dalaran right about now, and if Margot found her, Idira suspected it wouldn't be long before she would be shoved into the nearest portal to anywhere.

Somehow she had survived the harrowing trip back into the Academy without being detected, sneaking in through the gates without a pass card by surrounding herself in a group of students chattering about their field trip to the Citadel. But her frenetic trip across the campus had left her giddy with terror. She only had this one last hurdle and then it would be over; she would be safe within Khadgar's office.

Duncan stepped down from the reception's platform, carrying a wad of scrolls under his arm, moving in her direction.

'Duncan?' she called to him, quiet.

He looked up, distracted. His gaze fell on her. 'You!' he exclaimed, marching up to her. 'Do you know how much trouble you have gotten me into?'

'I'm sorry,' she said, looking around, frantic, checking the guards hadn't noticed her. She held out her hand with Khadgar's ring inside and opened her fingers.

Duncan's eyes widened. 'That's the ring of the Leader of the Kirin Tor,' he breathed. 'How did you-?'

She shushed him. 'He gave it to me, just now,' she whispered. 'He wants me to go to his office and study his books. I need a portal up to it. Will you do it for me? Please?'

Duncan rubbed the back of his neck, uneasy. 'That's a lot to ask after all that's happened lately. I mean, how do I know you didn't steal his ring? I could lose everything if I help you and you are up to something bad.'

Idira slumped. 'You would really believe that of me?'

'I don't know,' he shrugged, though he looked uncertain. 'Margot's been saying some pretty serious things about you. Word has it you're not what you seem. She says your magic isn't normal magic and you're a danger to Dalaran. You were supposed to be getting banished today. The fact you are here with that ring makes me wonder if Margot has got it right.'

'A danger?' Idira spluttered, indignant, thinking of Margot's deep machinations. 'Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!'

Duncan lifted his brow at her outburst. He shook his head. 'Don't ask me to do this, it's too dangerous. I've worked hard to get to where I am, and don't want to lose everything I've worked for because I end up on the wrong side of the fence.'

'But-' Idira said, showing him the ring once more, desperate.

Duncan waved his hand at it, shooing it away. 'Maybe you are telling the truth,' he sighed. 'I suppose what I can do is go over there-' he tilted his head in the direction he intended '-and have a look at the notice board before casting the portal I need to put these scrolls back. If you were to follow after me without my permission, that would be another matter entirely.' He lowered his voice as he adjusted the scrolls under his arm, 'You'll need to go up one more floor to get to his office but of course you would have known that already. Didn't hear it from me.'