Chapter 1.1

Sixteen-year-old, Alec Ericson-Green laid on a hospital bed. The hospital room had plain white walls. Alec dreamed in the hospital bed.

A machine sat next to Alec's bed. The sound of a beep came from the machine, in a consistent pattern. The machine monitored Alec's heartbeat from a set of wires attached to Alec's chest. Alec had on a hospital gown. His aunt, Anika Ericson and uncle, Jeffrey Oxon stood outside of the hospital room.

His aunt looked through the glass at Alec's porcelain face. She wore a black jacket over a white dress shirt. She had black dress pants on that matched her jacket. Anika stared through the hospital window at the wires that went down from Alec's chest toward the machine. She studied the machine next to Alec, hoping for a change in the pattern.

Anika looked through her bangs back at her nephew. Her light brown hair drifted down to her shoulders. She studied the blank expression on Alec's face with her light blue eyes. She wondered if Alec was dreaming about a peaceful placed.

She took a deep breath in. Her hands trembled as she lifted her hand up toward the glass window in front of her. She raised her other hand up from her side toward her face.

Anika whipped a tear away from the side of her face. Another tear rolled down the other side of her face. She rested her hand on the side of her face. Anika lowered her head down toward the white tiled floor of the hospital hallway. A worried expression washed over Anika's face. She looked up at Alec, worrying about his condition.

Jeffrey placed his hand onto Anika's back. He was wearing a dark green t-shirt with light blue jeans. He moved his hand up to her shoulder as he tried to comfort her. Anika glanced up at Jeffrey's baby blue eyes. He looked into her eyes for a moment before looking back into the hospital room. Jeffrey had short black hair. He placed his hand into the pocket of his jeans, which he had been wearing for a week. He listened to the pattern of the beeping sound coming from the machines.

Anika nervously took a deep breath in. Jeffrey brushed his fingers gently on her shoulder. She closed her eyes for a moment. The soothing motion of Jeffrey's fingers brushing against her shoulder, making her forget about her nephew in the hospital room in front of her.

The allusion broke as Jeffrey reminded her, "Steven said that he's ready."

A tear rolled down the side of Anika's face. She let the tear drop onto her finger tips. She moved her hand away from the side of the face.

She lowered her hand away from the glass toward her side. Anika placed her other hand up to her mouth. She tried to hide the expression on her face from Jeffrey. She knew that Jeffrey was right, but she does not want to let Alec go.

Jeffrey moved his hand away from her shoulder. He placed his hand down toward the side of his jeans. Anika heard Jeffrey take a deep breath in. She glanced over at him as she realized the emotionless looked on Jeffrey's face. She knew that Jeffrey was still trying to convince himself. He had no clue if what Steven told them could come true.

Anika told him, "It's been eight months, Jeffrey."

The thought crossed her mind all day. Anika wondered if Steven was interpreting his vision correctly. He had a gift, one that she did not fully understand.

Anika worried, "What if he doesn't wake up?"

Jeffrey glanced up at Alec, "When had your brother ever been wrong?"

Anika knew that Jeffrey was right about that. Her brother was always right about his predictions. She glared at Jeffrey from the corner of her eyes, lasting for only a second. She glanced back at Alec. She let out a deep sigh.

She told Jeffrey, "Fine."

Anika crossed her arms over her chest. She took a step toward the door of the hospital room. She thought about the last time she walked into that room. A nurse rushed passed her with Alec's doctor by her side. She remembered the doctors telling her that there was a complication. Anika remembered how helpless she felt during that moment.

She took a step into Alec's hospital room. The door slid open making a swishing sound in the process. Anika smiled as she entered the room. She looked down at her feet as she headed toward Alec. She lifted her head up slowly toward Alec's face.

Anika placed her hand onto the chair next to Alec's hospital bed. She remembered sitting in that chair next to Alec's bed. Anika remembered waiting for days as the doctors told her to go home.

She placed her hand onto the armrest of the chair. Anika studied the chair for a second, hoping that she'll never have to see it again. She frowned as she sat back down in the chair. She hoped that this was the last time. She took a deep breath in as she searched for the courage to telling him.

Anika smiled, "Alec."

She knew that he could hear her. She placed her hand onto Alec's cold hand. She leaned forward toward Alec waiting for him to move.

Anika wondered if Alec could feel her hand onto his. She wondered to herself as she sat in the chair. Anika moved her fingers over Alec's face, wishing that he'll move.

She cleared her throat, "Open your eyes."

Anika tried to find the courage to keep her tears back. She placed her other hand up to Alec's cold hand. A tear rolled down the side of her face.

Her voice cracked as she whispered to him, "Please, Alec."

She tried to keep herself going. Anika looked down at his peaceful face. She clenched his hands with the hope that he would open his eyes.

Anika mumbled, "Wake up."

She stared at his lifeless face. Anika began to cry as her hand slid down on the hospital bed. She covered her hand over her face. Anika glanced over at Jeffrey standing outside of the hospital room. He held a cell phone up to his ear. She knew that he was making the call to her brother.

Anika glanced back over at Alec, "Alec."

She hoped that her brother would be right. Anika leaned back into the chair. She stared down at her nephew blank expression on his face. She wondered if she would ever see Alec smile again.