Chapter 1.2

Eight months ago, Alec walked down a school hallway. He had a smile on his face as his light blue eyes shimmered with life. He held onto his backpack over his shoulder. He held a white cane in his hands as he approached a row of lockers.

He took his backpack off of his shoulder. He unlocked the locker as he placed his white cane onto the locker next to his. Alec opened the door to his locker. He took a notebook out of his backpack.

Alec smiled at his best friend, Vanessa. She walked down the school hallway toward him. She had dark brown eyes. Vanessa had dark brown hair that drifted down pass her shoulders toward her waist. She approached Alec with her hands clenching onto her notebooks. She placed her notebooks up to her chest. Vanessa watched Alec take his textbooks out of his locker. Alec placed his textbooks into his backpack. Vanessa leaned against the locker next to his.

Vanessa glanced over her shoulder at a teenage boy, around her age. The boy stood down the hallway with Zak, a boy in Vanessa's class. She had been admired Zak from a far distance since she was ten. She daydreamed about a future with Zak for years, now realizing that her dream would never come true.

Alec heard Zak's voice coming from down the hallway. He knew that Vanessa had drifted off into her fantasy land. He let her have a few minutes in her daydream. Alec zipped up his backpack. He smiled over at Vanessa's direction. Alec wondered if Vanessa would ever get the courage to talk to Zak, to tell him how she felt.

Vanessa wondered, "Hey, looks like the new kid's, already made a friend."

She crossed her arms over her chest. Vanessa glared down the school hallway at the new kid as he walked up to Zak. She wondered why Zak would talk to him. She searched for his name.

Alec tried to sound surprised, "Really, with who?"

Vanessa sighed, "With Zak."

Alec tilted his head slightly, "Great."

The school bell charmed down the school hallway. Alec tossed his backpack over his shoulder. He grabbed his white cane off of the locker next to his. He placed his hand on Vanessa's shoulder, for her to guide him to their first class.

Vanessa glanced down at her feet. She felt her cheeks beginning to burn. She walked down the hallway with Alec by her side. She wondered if Zak even knew her name.

Alec held his white cane in his hand. He moved his white cane along the flooring of the school hallway. Vanessa looked confused as she wondered what Alec was thinking of. She stared down the hallway at Zak, to get any sign that he noticed her. She took a deep breath in as she wondered if Alec knew what she was thinking. She wanted to race up to Zak as she stood still in the hallway. She watched as Zak walked down the hallway toward her.

She lowered her head with the hope that Zak would not see her. Vanessa kept her head down as her shoulders tensed up. She glanced away from Zak. Zak walked right to passed her with the two guys by his side.

Alec placed his hand on Vanessa's shoulder into his jeans pockets. He wondered if he had his cell phone on him. He let out a deep sigh when he realized he left his cell phone at home.

Vanessa lifted her head up, slightly. She stared over her shoulder at Zak and his friends.

The guy next to Zak looked back at her. She tried to remember his name. Vanessa smiled when she remembered his name, Owen. Vanessa glanced down at the floor in front of her. Owen looked back at Zak. He laughed along to a joke, which the new kid told them.

Vanessa wondered, "He smiles at me."

She could not believe that Owen smiled at her. Alec let out a sigh. He held his white cane in front of him.