Chapter 1.4

Eight months later, Alec laid in a bed at the Ericson's mansion. The machine from his hospital room beeped next to his bedside. A woman opened the door to Alec's room in the Ericson mansion. Her long dark brown hair flowed down over her shoulders. She closed the door to the room behind her.

The woman stared down at the clipboard in her hand. She approached the side of the bed. She had a white lab jacket over a purple tank top. She was wearing a dark blue pair of jeans. She had long blonde hair with light brown eyes. The woman glanced away from the clipboard toward Alec.

She let out a deep sigh of regret. She wished that she could help him more than what she had. The woman looked over to the machine that's monitoring Alec's heartbeat. She picked up a pen from the pocket on her lab coat. Her name tag on her lab coat reads, 'Dr. Armstrong'. She smiled over her shoulder at her patient. She shook her head with regret.

Dr. Armstrong thought about when she first met Alec's parents. She stood in the hospital hallway. She held her clipboard in her hand just like know. Alec's parents sat in the waiting room to hear from her. She knew that he was a fighter then.

She let out a sigh, "Look at you."

Dr. Armstrong looked down at Alec's emotionless face, "With these scores, you should be awake, any moment now."

She looked back at the pages on her clipboard. Alec's finger began to twitch as Dr. Armstrong wrote down on the clipboard. She checked off a box on the page.

Dr. Armstrong hoped, "Maybe, you're having a really good dream."

She looked up from the clipboard for a second. Dr. Armstrong saw Alec lying down on the bed. She forgot for a second that he was in a coma. She remembered the last time she entered his bedroom. He was passed out on the floor from the night before. He said her name, 'Pamela' instead of her last name. She knew that he was getting to used to her.

Pamela told Alec, "So, um."

She cleared her throat, "I have been talking to your uncle."

Pamela nervously glanced down at the clipboard, "You might already know this, but he's not the most patient person in the world."

She looked up at Alec's emotionless face, "But, after eight months, he's getting used to the whole waiting, thing."

Pamela felt better after talking to Alec. She let out a deep sigh. She glanced over at the machine. Pamela wrote Alec's vitals down onto the page of the paper on her clipboard.

She told him, "Well, I'm gonna miss these talks of ours."

Pamela remembered the first time she saw Alec. He fell down a flight of stairs at his parent's place. Pamela knew that he was lying about that. She had a feeling that someone pushed him a little too hard. Pamela kept her suspicion to herself. She knew that if she accused the wrong person, then she would never get to see the inside a hospital ever again.

She reminded herself, "And now I'm the crazy doctor, who's talking to her coma patient."

Pamela smiled at herself. She thought that what she said was funny. Pamela glanced back at the machine next to Alec.

She told him, "Well, I guess that I could try to tell you about my love life. Since it's none existent. This was a dead conversation."

Pamela laughed at her own joke, "Come on."

She slid her pen back into the pocket of her lab coat, "That was funny."

The door to Alec's bedroom squeaked opened behind her. Pamela turned around to see a man in his early forties standing in the doorway. She knew his name right away, Steven Ericson. He stood in the doorway with his hand on the doorknob. Pamela wondered what happened to Anika. She was supposed to be the one to come up.

Steven told Pamela, "Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude."

Pamela nodded her head. She flips the page on her clipboard back over. She wondered how long Steven was standing there for.

Her smile faded away, "Don't worry about it."

She nervously told him, "I was just-"

He cut her off, "-Telling him about your love life?"

Steven raised his hand from the door. He had a business suit on that he wore to the office this morning. He folded his hands in front of his waist. He waited for her to respond to his guess.

Pamela smiled as she corrected him, "Just leaving."

Steven lowered his head as he realized how rude he was being. He looked down at the wooden flooring with his light blue eyes. He brushed his hand over the top of his ear, touching his short dark brown hair.

Pamela smiled as she held her clipboard in her hands. She headed toward the door to Alec's bedroom. Steven stepped to the side of the door. Pamela walked passed, Steven. He waited for her to closed the door before he made his way up to Alec's bedside.

Steven glanced over his shoulder. He heard the door latched closed. Steven stood in front of Alec' bed. He reached his hand toward Alec's forehead. He smiled down at his nephew.

Pamela stood outside of Alec's bedroom door. She held her clipboard up to her chest. She tried to keep her tears back as she hoped that Steven was right about his prediction.

Steven placed his hand onto Alec's hand. He looked at the blank expression on Alec's face. He remembered his nephew's face glowing when he was alive. Steven tried to keep his tears back. He looked down at Alec's peaceful face. He stood next to the bed as he worried if what he saw was a mistake. Steven clenched his hand onto Alec's hand. He leaned his head down toward Alec gave him a kiss on his forehead. Steven pulled himself away from Alec.

He looked over at the machine, "We talked about this."

Steven glanced down at the floor with sorrow, "But today is the day."

He whipped a tear away from the corner of his eye. Steven leaned his head back. He took a deep breath in.

Steven told Alec, "Anika thought that she would be able to do this."

He shook his head, "She is a tough woman."

Steven tried to find the courage to said goodbye, "But she couldn't do it."

He took a deep breath in. Steven placed his hand toward the machine next to Alec. He glanced over his shoulder at Alec. Steven reached his hand toward the button on the machine. He glanced down at his nephew's face, one last time.

Steven whispered, "I'm so sorry."

A tear rolled down the side of Steven's face. He pushed his fingertip down onto the button on the machine. The machine let out a low beep. The humming sound of the machine began to fade away as the machine began to shut down.

Steven lifted his hand away from the machine. He leaned down onto his knees as he looked down at Alec. He watched Alec's breathing become shallow with each breath. Steven held his hand up to his mouth. He watched Alec's chest stop moving. He leaned forward as he gave Alec one last kiss on his forehead.

He told Alec, "Wake up."

Steven moved his hand away from Alec's hand. He placed his hand on the side of Alec's face. Steven hoped that Alec's eyes would open. He moved his hand together. He leaned away from Alec. Steven took a deep breath in as he realized he was wrong.

Alec's face stayed the same emotionless sleeping face as before. Steven stared down at his hands. He took a moment to remember his nephew. He remembered how Alec's face lit up when he smiled. Steven glanced over at the machine beside him. He heard a sound beginning come from inside the machine. The monitor on the machine began to show a low heartbeat coming from his nephew.

Steven's eyes widen, "Dr. Armstrong."

He looked down at Alec with joy on his face.

Steven smiled, "Pamela."

He raised up to his feet as Pamela opened the bedroom door. Steven stared down at Alec. He watched Alec's eyelids began to flutter. Pamela let out a sigh of relief. Steven placed his hands up to his hips. He watched as a smile began to appear on Alec's face. Alec's eyes opened as he sat up with his heart racing in his chest.