Chapter 3

Girl With The Sunset Eyes

Chapter 3

Katherine felt dirty, she felt evil and she also felt free. As she walked up the empty lane towards her goal, she could feel home. She was away from him. Away from everything that had caused her pain.

However, she did not recognize the area she was in, and she wished she could speak to someone other than the men who leered at her or tried to caress her. She checked the pass in her bag was still there, and then her long dark hair whipped her face and angrily brushing aside the hairs she focused on the road ahead.

It was a bumpy road; there were cracks and piles of manure which had yet to be cleared up. The houses were mainly slums or extremely wealthy and Katherine could see families sitting down to eat meals or going to bed, through their cheap windows.

She had passed more affluent areas, clearly there was disposable income in those areas and they did not seem to attract the scruffs like her. The masters and mistresses had not even glanced at her, but their servants eyes told her she was to move.

She had realized that her being locked inside her master’s home was almost as bad as being out here on her own. It was always bad because she has always been on her own, she would always been on her own. She knew she was in London still; she had been too weak to go further.

Worn down she slowed down and looked for a clearing to head into. Sitting down, head down on the side of a path, she hugged her stomach. Another day of running, another day of aloneness that she had been running from had caught up with her. But she was one step closer to her goal and to her that’s was an achievement. But she felt faint and tired.

Her weakest moment was when she had passed a tall tower. She had heard stories about the tower were people had been imprisoned and she had read about the torture which throughout history had occurred there. So when a man had corned her she had stabbed his podgy leg and ran for her life, and now she was here.

She clutched her bloodied knife and a tear slid down her cheek. She was so hungry, so weak and she needed forgiveness. But she would pray once she was safe, she wasn’t safe now, a concrete mindset would allow her to think straight.

She could barely see as the moonlight was her only source of light but she was grateful she could see at all. Making sure her satchel was still with her. She turned as she heard the waves crashing and was glad this would soon be over. A day or two left of walking, and she would be happy. She had enjoyed her freedom but now she would see if her mother's words were true.

If the sea was as hopeful as her mother had made it out to be. Each drip giving you one more chance to fulfillment, whether in a hot bathe or a stroke when swimming, then she would be happy. Seeing a small clearing she headed towards it and snuggled into the clearing and fell asleep.

Soon she would be free, she said firmly to herself.

She dreamt of a life where she would be happy, a small home and a man to protect her. She didn’t know truly what to do with herself, but maybe with her skills she could become a secretary for a small business owner- who wouldn’t ask for her origin. Truly she had always wanted to see a university, a place full of intellectuals and learners, a place where discussions were not focused on the bed skills of the newest indentured servant.

She wouldn’t come home tired and hungry, as she felt now and the stupid pounding in her head and in her arm would cease to exist. She woke up, the pain irritating her, but she kept her eyes closed. Just a few moments were what she wished before she moved on.

 “Look here,”

Katherine’s eyes opened and they landed on two men who were staring at her, bright smiles on their faces. They looked similar; probably brothers and they reminded her of the two men who walked with Master Watson when he went out, those men always held weapons. She clutched her bag and scrambled for the fake pass she had drawn up.