Chapter 27

Chapter 27

The curtains were drawn; the dark green curtains made the room seem misty as it blended with the newly decorated room. Without the fire, it seemed the room was more serious, if one could ignore the crisp snow visible from the window.  The gardens had been cleared by Julian and the other men, and now it meant a perfect view of the hill, a single tree on the top, from afar.

The table was set, the cloth was still white but with trimmings of white lace, Georgina’s touch a welcome addition. Breakfast had been set. The table filled with plates of rolls, eggs, hams and pork for the guests. Drinks of variation were also ready to be disposed. Coffee was present; tea and milk were all laid out for breakfast.

William could barely eat anything. His mouth was chewing on a dry piece of toast, his stomach unable to take much else that morning. He sat at the head of the table, but he conversed with no one and continued to think as he had been doing for the past evening.

After Georgina had gone to bed, he had lain in bed thinking of the circumstances which he had brought him to this point. Treating his future wife like a child! That was wrong. He couldn’t redeem himself with gifts, he didn’t know what she adored and she needed to face what their marriage was going to be about.

Even at breakfast, it showed they were complete opposites. Georgina wore a bright yellow dress, her blond hair brushed back, some ribbons at the front of a similar colour. William would have preferred her hair up, a more ladylike fashion, but he would only demand such things of her when there was a formal occasion. For now, she could eat the cake she did, which he detested, in silence as she had been.

 Victoria was also present; she bit into a hot roll as she looked at her host. He looked ragged this morning, Nathaniel had gone riding but he had mentioned he would be irritated this morning. He rarely spoke, his face grim with irritation. And so, she barely spoke, unless it was to request some tea or greet someone. It seemed that her daring dress did nothing to even gain a comment from her uncle in law.

Victoria was not used to such isolated behaviour from either of them. As an engaged couple, they looked strained and annoyed at anyone that dared to move a hair on their head. “Mr Blake, Lady Phillips, the wedding is coming soon, is it not?”

Victoria watched their reaction, it seemed they had both realised what they were doing. Georgina put down the cake she was eating; William swallowed the piece of toast in his mouth but did not begin a new one.

 “Would you like some tea Georgina?” William said smoothly, almost becoming as pure as the white of his shirt. The rest of his clothing that day was for outdoor leisure. He was to ride with Nathaniel later, and he had dressed himself earlier. His country green waistcoat, muddy brown breeches and boots were already on his person.

“Yes, please, Mr Blake,” Georgina replied. The servants instantly poured her a cup, and she brought it to her kissed lips.

“Is something the matter Georgina?”

Georgina shook her head, but blushed thinking of what happened last night. She had lost her virginity to Mr Julian Byng. He was gentle and understanding, and a virgin himself. But he had also made her ache for more, she felt like a proper woman now. Even as she sat at breakfast, she wanted to find him, to be taken once more.

“I have forgiven you for your mistake,”

Georgina lifted the porcelain cup to her lip, the tea was warm and smelt lovely to her. She used it to soothe the headache she had, closing her eyes and sipping some. It seemed as if she was ignoring William, but truly she had given up trying to please him, he was too rigid.