Chapter 21

To IslandLily's mum- Sorry I don't know your name, but when a mum reads your story, you know you are doing something right. Thank you for reading and hope you like the rest.

Chapter 21:

I don’t know what to do anymore.

December the sixteenth1795

The year of our lord

Diary of William Blake

+++

The room hushed. The staff that surrounded Katherine and William pretended to do their work, when really they were watching. Previously the maids had been preparing dinner, the smell of roasted venison on the air. The men had been chopping some logs for the fires, the master’s already roaring, and they were bringing them into the kitchen.

But everything froze, like a crystalizing water drop, as William uttered his actions. “Now you know I might as well make it official.  I’ve done it, I have bought you from Watson, and you belong to me.” 

Katherine quivered like she was six again, she felt as if she was just finding her place, a slave, it was true and there was nothing that had ever changed. What had made her think that her position was better than anyone here? She had been born a slave, she would die one too. She was a failure, one of the many black people that had been taken away from everything they were supposed to have, to serve whites.

If she was in America, it probably would have been worse. But here, in England, she was odd and she was intriguing. That was the reason why they kept her, to show her off like an animal. She felt like that now, everyone was staring at her, they dared not look at William at that moment. The room was quiet, the wind blowing from the open door making a sharp whistling sound was the only noise in the room.

Luis stood at the door way, his big eyes on Katherine, before he ran in with the post.  Several letters in his hand, he did not seem eager, but anxious to get in and then get out the room. “Miss Katherine, I have the letters,”

Katherine avoided William’s eyes and sank down to her knees. Her skirt brushed the floor, and she took his hand, taking the letters into hers.  His face was sad, a permanent frown, his mop of brown hair framed his upset expression, as he looked at Katherine. “Good afternoon Luis,” She smiled and watched as the tears formed in the boys eyes. “It’s okay, don’t cry,” She comforted him by hugging him, the little boy’s fear reduced.

“Is Mr. Blake angry at me?” He mumbled, his breath making Katherine’s shirt damp.

“N-No Luis. I have done something wrong, and he is angry at me.” She rubbed his back in small circles, wondering why Luis had assumed it was him. “Why did you think Mr. Blake was angry at you?”

“B-Because I was behind you, and you never do anything wrong. You make me biscuits, and you’re pretty, you sing nicely and you’re lovely Miss Katherine.  I’m sorry Mr. Blake is angry at you.”

“Why don’t you go to the garden Luis? I’ll come and see you after,” William interjected.

Luis nodded, his body still holding onto Katherine’s, until she whispered in his ear. Then, he let go and ran off into the garden. Katherine felt needed, it felt really nice. His words, she thought he was lovely.

William cleared his throat, and Katherine, now on her toes, looked up.

Some of the servants were snorting, and William felt humiliated. Well, this time he wouldn’t look like a fool. Katherine had done enough to confuse him; he wouldn’t lose the respect the servants had for him. The blush that William normally wore disappeared and he talked directly to Katherine.