Chapter 29

Chapter 29

The mistakes we make shape who we are, what we can become, but what if they shape what those around you aspire to be? That is when you are either a fool or a genius. I want to be the latter, but the former seems to be easier to do, especially when it is me.

 Twenty third of December 1795. London, England.

The year of our Lord

Diary of William Blake

William poured a large glass of wine for himself, unable to do much else without crying out in anger. The splashes on his desk were nothing, and the majority of the bitter wine was in his crystal clear glass. He stood beside his desk, the mahogany made the liquid look so much darker and tempting.

The glass lay at his feet, Katherine shook from seeing him so angry. His face was red, his blue eyes had lost all emotion, and he drained the glass again. His other hand was clenched, as if he wanted to punch someone, also red in frustration.

William stared at the ground and swallowed some more of the drink. His chest heaved and he seemed to lose all his composure, his heart refusing to take in the news. He rejected it, but then begged to God. “You’re pregnant?”

Katherine lay in the bed, clutching the quilt with all her strength, and nodded. 

He felt a wave of nausea at that moment, ignoring the easy temptation to clutch onto the wall.

William left the glass and walked to the window. Looking outside meant he peered into the garden. Several weeks ago, he had done this in his study, and he had seen the same girl dancing in the snow. Just a few days ago, he had seen the children of St Marks play delightfully in the snow, from a window. Now, there was nothing to look at.

“How did Smith not realise this?” William shook his head, his hand now rubbing his temple. “I pay the man good money to look after me, and do as I told him, he couldn’t even see you were pregnant?”

Brown’s words seemed to have been ingrained into his mind and William became enraged further.  “I should kill the bastard! You were ailing and I did nothing because he told me it was because of food.”

Katherine was about to interrupt but he continued his rant. “The babe could have been harmed! The useless excuse for a human being,”

William began to pace, his body away from the window, around the room. He looked at anything but Katherine. “I could easily make sure his family are outside, begging for scraps.”

Katherine clenched the bedcovers tighter, shaking from his cold manner.

“I have something to say, please,” Katherine begged softly, her body trembling still.

He finally made eye contact with her, but this time it was a detached look. He wanted her to continue, she wasn’t sure if it was best to explain everything. And so, she simply elaborated. “He knew, he told me, I decided to withhold the information, I am sorry,”

William narrowed his eyes, and quickly turned around. “So you lied?”

Katherine shook her head frantically, her hair snapping out of its band and covering the tears on her face. She used her hands to brush her hair back, but they continued to wave over her, and she gave up.

William repeated his question. His voice was raised, and he clenched the glass in his hand. It twinkled in the morning light, the sky brightening as it turned to the afternoon, made it seem almost surreal. The decoration on the body of the short glass, diamond shaped cuts of glass, real diamond holding it together; it seemed it twinkled with the red wine in his glass.