Part II

Richard felt like he got hit with a baseball bat on the head and his body was beaten to a pulp the moment he rushed to get on his feet but he cared not about it. Upon successfully ripping off the UV cord connected on his body, disregarding the fact blood was dripping from the spot where the needle was once, he went straight to the door. Enduring the pain and the struggle to keep himself standing, for all he could think about was Arianna. His sight was blurry and his head ache like hell, a part of his back was sore yet he continued through the hall way. But he had just taken a few tentative steps away from the room when a voice stopped him on his track.

" Hey! You should not be out of bed. You are still healing. What the hell are you thinking? " The young woman dressed all in white, resembling a nurse uniform called for him. She just got out from a room, carrying a box of medicinal stuffs and an empty bowl of porridge.

Richard only threw her a passive look and started his way out again. He heard her constant call and felt her presence behind her, retelling how foolish he was by forcing his body but ignored her again. Though he felt like he had seen the woman before he decided not to think about it. His priority was to find his sister and he could not waste time with healing himself while his sister was out in the open, defenseless and probably alone. The thought of it made him cringe but also more determined to find her despite of his condition.

The young woman however felt annoyed with how stubborn Richard was. It showed on her expressive eyes and how her lips formed a thin line. Though she tried to surpress her emotion and the urge to throw the empty bowl to his head. Yes, she had a knack of throwing things at others when she was annoyed or sometimes when she just want to. She had to control herself, injuring him further would do no good. But then it dawned on her why he was acting like it. She mentally smacked herself for being stupid enough to forget.

" Hey ! " She called again and ran after the young man. Amazingly, he had already reached the stairs and was going down to the main door when she reached him. The act made her secretly admired his tenacity and how he care for his sister. " I know where she is. "

Upon hearing her last statement, Richard swiftly turned around, grabbed the nurse by the collar of her dress and pushed her against the wall - much to the latters surprise and discomfort. He suddenly felt tricked, maybe it was just his paranoia kicking in and his trust issues against strangers but he could careless. It was his sister they were talking about. " Where is she? What have you done to her? I swear to God if you lay a finger on her, I will kill you. Now speak before I loose my self. "

The young woman sighed and threw an irritated look at Richard before she opened her mouth. No one had dared to pin her against the wall before and his lack of appreciation got on his nerves. She was also bothered with their closeness, with his lips inches away from her. No man had been that close to her but she was not the type who'd be easily intimidated. She was itching to punch the young man on the face, not minding if she would break his nose. " First, she is safe and sleeping right now. She's in the room next to yours. All the running had drained the energy on her young body, add the stress and its not a good combination. Second, I tended on her cuts and bruises, make sure there will be no infection. Third, you could not kill me cause I saved your little sister and technically you also. So you owe me one. "

Richard's eyes soften for a moment but it quickly vanished and returned to his cold glares again. He slowly loosen his grip on her collar and took a step back. There was a voice in him telling he should thank her but his distrusting self told him otherwise. So he settled with a nod and made his way to Arianna's room but before he could reach the doorknob the woman spoke and seeing there was no one in the hallway, it only meant it was directed to him.

" Wait?! You ungrateful sorry excuse for a human ! That was it? After I helped you, no thank you ? No whatsoever? You could have died there! But no, you did not cause I came to the rescue. How foolish of you to think you can fight a group of infecteds, not mentioning there was a mutated one. You got lucky we came just in time or your sister will be mourning now. You don't even introduce yourself like what proper human beings do. Like Hi! Im Maine, Thank you for saving me and my sister. " The young woman was almost yelling at him, her hands flailing dramatically in the air as she let out her frustrations. It already caused other nurses and patients to come out from their respective rooms and watch the scene. It was almost amusing if not for the cold demeanor of the man and the clenched fist of the woman.

Silence ensued after Maine had stopped ranting and it weaved into a staring contest. Neither of them wanted to look away. Neither wanted to let the other know he/she was intimidated. Neither wanted to back down. Richard was too stubborn to admit and Maine was very much just as stubborn to let it pass. But the latter was not expecting what happened next. Richard leaned forward and whispered what she was adamant to hear from him or something close to it.

" Im Richard and her name is Arianna. Thank you for saving her but do not expect something from me, Maine ... "