Part VII

There would have been a bloody murderer if not for Arianna, once again, she stepped in before Maine was about to strangle the life out of Richard. She was still oblivious of what was trully happening infront of her and was too eager to confirm her request. She stood enthusiastically between the two and asked another question, not even noticing the death glare the older woman was throwing to her brother. If looks could kill she would have been alone in life by then.

" Does it mean I can have ice cream? "

Maine could do nothing but to let out a deep sigh and face Arianna. When she saw how excited the little girl was though, it seemed all her anger dispersed and was resplaced with a light feeling. The giddiness of the girl was contagious and her actions somehow reminded her of her younger self, back when everything was still normal.

" Like I said, it would be not hard for me to get you some but before I do that. Promise me that you will eat well and take the vitamins I gave you earlier and lay down on your soft bed to rest. You need a lot of rest, little one. And before you know it, I will be back with a bowl full of ice cream ready for you. Like that? " Maine said and ruffled the hair of Arianna with fondness. She had liked the girl despite the short span of time knowing her. She was also too cute and persistent to ignore. She had became her favorite tenant in the camp, next is Venus of course.

Richard though was touched by her gestures but of course, being the stubborn and prideful one: he would never say it out loud. The scene reminded him of someone he dearly miss. The way Maine interacted with his little sister used to be a scene he often see, only it was his mother who was on her spot. The sweetness on her voice, her gentle actions, and the smile that almost made him smile as well, keyword almost. He was suddenly reminded by his distrusting self that it maybe a bluff, a front, a way to trick them or lure them to something. He mentally berrated himself for letting his thoughts wander for a moment.

Unknown to him, Maine took a glance at him while he was busy staring at his sister. She had seen how his features soften, gone was the scowl and how his eyes twinkle. How his lips almost curved into a smile, suprisingly she was convinced it was not a smirk. The play of emotions on his face had been enough proof. But it disappeared in a instant and it was too quick for her liking. She thought, he look better with that look unlike with his usual brooding cold look. She still hate Richard but she could not shake off the feelung that there was more to him than what seems. All his thoughts though were ruined when the man mentioned had to say another meaningful comment.

" My sister then needs some rest as what you have recommended and I suppose a leader like you have more important things to do. Am I wrong? "

All of a sudden, Maine had an internal debate. She wanted to choke the man till she see him breathe his last breath and take the responsiblity of having Arianna, she would not mind though, or stay calm and be the better person. Her reasonable self choose the latter, although her hands were itching to get a grip on his neck. Instead, she turned her attention to Richard, eyed him from head to toe and smirked smugly. She then flipped her hair, intentionally hitting him on the face before walking out. But before she completely step out of the room, she said.

" Dont worry Richard. The only thing I want from you is an information about the camp I mentioned awhile ago. Nothing more, nothing less so dont expect. Bye Arianna. "

With that, she left. Leaving Richard mildly insulted but more challenged with her words. There was also Arianna was as clueless as ever with the exchange.