Part III

If they were in a different situation, Richard would have smirked smugly at Maine before he went inside his sister's room. With the way her body stiffened and how his bold actions obviously affected her twice, once when he pushed her to the wall - not so gently - and twice when he leaned forward to say thank you for Arianna. His fierceness had amused him and the way her face contorted into different expressions. But no - he did not. He masked it perfectly with his cold tone and equally cold glares. He had no time to entertain those kinds of petty thoughts, his main focus was to regain his strength and plan their escape. He was still skeptical of Maine's intentions whether it was good or not, he did not care. He didn't want to be aquainted with someone other than his sister. He had learned his lessons in a hard way and had cost it the lives of people who was dear to him. Arianna, will always be his number one priority, he had vowed to keep her safe no matter what the cost is. He's willing to lay his life for her.

" Im here to protect you, Ari. I will always be here. " Richard whispered as he stare on his sister peacefully sleeping on the bed from across the room. Her face was calm, no trace of fear or worry and there was even a smile on her lips. The sight somehow gave him the feeling of relief. She was safe at the moment though she obtained light bruises on her arms and small cuts on her feet, she was still in one piece. Its more important to him.

Looking around, he had noticed the room was quite simple, almost empty. The bed and the small table near it was the only furniture he had seen. The wall was painted with plain white and that was it. No other details or anything fancy, it really looked like a hospital room. He couldn't help but compare it to their former hospital which he thought was more lively than where he was. At least, the rooms back in their camp didn't look as forlorn as it was. Then it hit him, the memories of his past came rushing back to his mind. The life he once had before the dreadful day happened. The simple life with no fear of the 'things' attacking him or Arianna, the laughters he shared with his friends and his parents. Oh, how he had missed them so much. He also had a place to call home and they had plenty of supplies. But it all seemed a distant memory to him now. Everything had changed and so was his view to the world.

He suddenly felt numb. He did not even cringed when he unconsciously bitten his forearm, his teeth digging on his flesh causing blood to drip out. It always happen whenever he refrain himself from crying, from letting his emotion flow, to halt the sadness creeping to his heart. It had been effective since and was still.

It was the sight that greeted Arianna when she opened her eyes. She had witnessed it far too many times and had been quite used to it but the pain she felt was still as immense as the other times. She felt pity, concern and hatred towards those who had made him feel miserable. She knew very well what was it or more specifically who. Richard had told him about that certain behavior of his. She had tried many times to stop him from doing it but that was just how Richard deal with the sorrow. He had said once that the physcial pain help him forget the memories. " Richy, it happened again. Didn't it? "

Arianna's voice pulled Richard out from the pool of memories and brought him back to his normal state again. He slowly free his arm from the grip of his teeth and turned to look at his sister. " Im sorry. I just could not help it. But how are you? Did they do something to you ? Tell me, Ari. "

" No, they were very kind especially Miss Maine. They took care of me and had saved you as well. Im thankful they did. I dont know what will I do if anything bad had happened to you. " Arianna replied, her voice shaky and on the verge of crying but she tried hard not to spill a single tear.

" Im just glad nothing had happened to you, Ari. I dont know if I could ever forgive myself if I fail to keep you from harm's way. But tell me, what did that Miss Maine told you? Did she told you where we are or what she want? " Richard said as he started to wipe the blood on his forearm with a towel he had grabbed from the sidetable. He then made his way to his sister and checked on her bruises.

" She asked me where we came from and what we were doing out there in the forest but I said .. nothing. I told her we are siblings but that was all. I told her that its you who they should ask. I figured its .. its what you would have done if you were in my place. " The little girl said shyly while fiddling on the hem of her skirt. " She also said we are safe here and this place is called The Barracks. The walls could protect us from those things and she said we could stay. "

Richard just snorted when Arinna was finished speaking. He was hell-bound to contradict the things Maine had told his sister and he would not be discreet about it and so he had to tell his sister the plan. No matter how selfish it may seem, his decisions were final. " You know better that we are not safe here. Who knows if they were like those people back on the Highlands. We are better off alone with each other and I do not trust this people. We need to get out of here as soon as possible. "

He didn't want to remind Arianna of that incident a few months ago but he knew he must convince her to agree. He needed her to, for both of their safety - or so he thought.

His little sister though needed no more convincing cause wherever Richard would go, she was sure to follow. She trust him with all of his heart and she would not go anywhere without him. Although, she had considered asking him if they could stay earlier before he revealed his plan. She didn't mention it to her brother. She was that considerate and perhaps the scene she had been unfortunate to witness, the one Richard had told, helped her decide.

" Okay but you need to heal first. We can't travel with you looking like that. Also promise me you'd teach me how to defend myself when we are out of here. You know safety precautions. " Arianna said seriously, her voice commanding but quickly turned giddy again when she added. " And ... I heard they have ice cream here. I want to have a taste of it or maybe steal some for you. "

Richard chuckled lightly and ruffled her hair, making some strand cover her face. " Thank you, Ari. You know Im just doing this for our safety. We could only trust each other, just you and me. But nope, I will not allow you to steal anything. Let me do it and maybe I could find myself some bottle.of beer. "

" How could you move like a ninja when you are limping like that? I could do it better and besides its not the first time, Im doing it. " Ari said non-chalantly and shrugged her shoulders.

" I still won't allow you to do it, Arianna. No matter how tempting your proposal are. I let you pass last time but not this time. " Richard replied.

Arianna said no response and just withdraw herself from the bed, ran towards to her brother and tightly hugged his waist. " I thought I was gonna lose you, Richy. I thought you we're going to die. "

Richard lifted her up and pressed her small body against his broad chest. He then locked her in his tight loving embrace whil silently thanking the heavens for keeping the both alive. " Me too, Ari. Me too. "