You're Beautiful

"Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are."

~Markus Zusak

"These make my eyes look huge."

Ty complained beside me, shaking his head as he set the third pair of glasses he had tried on back on the tray, refusing to try any of the others on.

"Ty, they aren't going to make you look perfect." I replied, scanning the selection of glasses in front of me. I picked up a pair of red rimmed frames and handed them to him, smiling when he slid them on and looked in the mirror.

"I like those." I said, leaning over his shoulder and adjusting them on his nose a little.

"I do too." He tipped his head back slightly and smiled a little.

Once our sales lady, Katy, had gone through with all the paperwork, I led Ty back out, laying my hand against my stomach in hopes it'd prevent it from growling.

"We've got to go pick up Tessie so we can take her back to my house, if that's okay with you." I said, feeling myself stiffen when I realized what I had said. "I meant our house, at least until you can find your own place." He only smiled at my embarrassment, as if it were the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

The ride to his mother's house was quiet, with the exception of a few songs that came on the radio that I would tap my fingers along the steering wheel with.

Despite Ty having to be my chauffeur, I had made him promise that he wouldn't drive until he had contacts or glasses. I didn't want him to get hurt, or frankly, myself to.

"How are we paying for the glasses, anyway? I don't have Medicaid or insurance, I do-"

"It's taken care of." I cut him off with a quick glance in his direction.

He ran a hand through his shaggy brown hair, a hint of a smile on his lips as we pulled up to the house. His mom and Tessie were already waiting outside, both perking up when they saw my car.

"Ally!" Tessie squealed, throwing her arms around my legs. I hugged her, pushing her hair out of her eyes.

"Why don't you go see Daddy? I'll be there in a minute." She nodded, taking her backpack from her grandmother and running over to where Ty was leaning against the door to my SUV.

"Thanks for helping with the glasses." I said quietly, pulling the money from my wallet and handing it to the woman in front of me, "He really needs them." I could tell she was barely listening, her eyes had fallen on the wad of cash I had handed to her.

"I still need the papers you promised me." I said, making sure she could hear the irritation in my voice. She frowned, pulling herself out of her daze and nodding. She grabbed a manila folder from the bag beside her, opening it up to reveal Ty's birth certificate as well as some of his other personal belongings.

"And Tessie's?" I asked, my lips curled back. She was a little more hesitant this time, her own eyes dark as she returned my glare.

"You aren't going to get custody of her, dear. My son isn't fit, and we all know that's why you want custody of her, right? Because no one could possibly love someone like him." I had to clench my hand into a fist to stop myself from slapping the older woman in front of me. Instead I let out a shaky breath and ripped a copy of Tessie's birth certificate from her. I waited until I had started to walk away to look back over my shoulder with a glare.