Fire and Rain

"There are some people who always seem angry and continuously look for conflict. Walk away; the battle they are fighting isn't with you, it is with themselves."

~Unknown

"What do you mean? I have all the paperwork."

I bit the inside of my lip as I glared at the attorney in front of me. His eyebrows were drawn in confusion, his forehead creased as he scanned the papers in front of him.

"And the date for the case is when?" He questioned.

"It's today." I fought the urge to throw my hands in the air and stalk out of the room.

I had never had a short temper, I usually kept my composure well. Most people didn't know how or what I was feeling, when I was feeling it. But the lawyer in front of me had been sending me on the verge of insanity all morning. He'd act as if I hadn't been coming to him the last few weeks, that I hadn't just gone into deep explanation over what I was talking about, minutes before he'd ask what I had just said.

"Please calm down, Ms. Morrison. I'm aware that you are anxious, but please do not take it out on me." I shook my head, waiting for him to go on. "I guess I'll be seeing you in a few hours then, right?" He cracked a smile, that on any other person would have been attractive, but it made him look like a drunk Joker.

"Thank you." I threw my hair into a bun on my head before gathering my files spread across the desk and stalking out of the room, biting my lip so hard that I could taste blood.

When I walked back outside, Ty looked up from where he was sitting with Tessie on his lap playing on my phone.

"How'd it go?" He asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

I could tell, just by the look on his face, that he was still pissed that I had gone behind his back and done this without telling him.

When I had told him this morning, it didn't give him enough time to talk me out of doing it, so he would just have to go along with it.

But he had refused to say that he didn't want Tessie in his mother's custody, even though I could see it in his eyes. He was telling me I was being unfair to her, that I was taking away her baby.

"She's your daughter, Ty." I had snapped this morning, "I see how you are with her, I see how desperately you want her to stay with us instead of going back to her. I see the way she looks at you, helpless, every time your mom takes her and rips her from our grasp. She deserves to be in a happy home."

That hadn't gone over too well with him, either. But at least he had stopped talking about his poor mother.

"He said everything was fine and he'd see us there later today." Ty nodded, whispering something in Tessie's ear so she'd jump off his lap. She handed me my phone with a smile, tugging on my hand.

"Can we go to the toy store next door?" She asked. I found myself nodding despite the fact we should probably have been going home and getting ready to go to the court house, considering it was almost an hour away.

Tessie immediately ran for the huge isle and basket of stuffed animals, dragging Ty with her as she hopped up and down and showed him all the different toys. She reminded me of the little girl at the end of Monsters Inc. When she showed the monster all her toys in her room.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" A woman at one of the cash register's said. I shook my head, moving toward the case of electronics. I tapped on the glass in front of a tablet on sale, my eyes narrowing.