Chapter 2

2

The sun slowly rose into the sky, waking me up. I heard Sam lightly snoring so I quickly got changed into a tight black tee shirt and ripped blue skinny jeans, pulling my knee high studded leather boots over top. I grabbed my knife and strapped it to my belt.

I woke up Sam and stepped out of the tent to give him some privacy. The air was still a little cool so on the way out I grabbed my leather jacket off the stool and threw it on. Every one slowly started coming out of their own tents to get ready for the morning announcements.

A few minutes later, Sam stepped out of the tent wearing an Asking Alexandria tee shirt and a pair of tight dark wash jeans, topped off with a black pair of converse and his black hair flipped to the side. He is so beautiful, I want to tell him but as usual, I can't find the words. He catches me staring and sends me a sly smile. I quickly looked away, blushing.

"Ready to go?" He asks and I nod, not trusting my voice. We slowly walk to the centre of camp and stood at the back of the crowd. We did this everyday, no matter where we are, we always have morning announcements then breakfast. After awhile Jackie, James and Dean step in front of the crowd and tell every one to be quiet.

"Since yesterday's run didn't find anything as usual," Jackie pauses dramatically, rolling her eyes. I bite my lip, stopping my self from cussing her out.

She continues, "So we will have Ben, Leroy, Ty and Sam go on a run to the town five miles out." I suck in air, knowing that the number of corpses in that area are high and well, let's put it this way, Sam and Ty don't get along, AT ALL. That's a double whammy to Sam. He sighs and looks at the ground, kicking a rock around with the toe of his shoes.

The announcements are cut short and Sam and I walk towards the tent. Sam leaves in five hours, right after lunch. I look up at the tall nineteen year old. He looks down at me, giving me a small smile.

"We should do something." I finally say to him. I'm not sure what but I want to spend time with him. I know I gave feelings for him, but it's too dangerous these days to fall in love.

"We should. Hey I know a place!" He Grabs my hand and starts running into the Forrest His long legs allowing him to move allot faster than me. All I see is trees as we run down a small trail, leading to something Sam only knows. The trees blocking the sunlight, making it very dark for mid morning. I see light ahead and Sam lets go of my hand and steps into the clearing. I slowly follow, stepping into a meadow. The overgrown grass brushed against my ankles as i walked around the untouched land. At the one side a river ran through the meadow and birds chirped.

"I found it yesterday when you were gone."

"It's beautiful." I hear Sam walk up behind me until both of us are standing In the middle.

"So are you." I look at him, waiting for him to take it back. Instead he smiles, and pulls me into a kiss. I turned my head at the last possible second, the kiss landing just below my ear. I rest my head on his shoulder, not meeting his eyes. The way he draws in a breath tells me he's hurt. I look up finally meeting his gaze. His brown eyes are filled with sadness.

"I'm sorry." I whisper, not leaving the safety of his arms.

"Why, you don't feel the same way, it's not your fault."

" I do I'm just not ready for this." I gesture between us. I expected for him to let me go, but the arms around me tighten, pulling me closer.

"I understand." I smile and rest my head on his chest, hearing his heartbeat.

We stay Quietly in the embrace, neither wanting to let go. Winter was approaching fast and it was a little chilly out.

In the distance I hear a twig snap and a crow caw, bringing me back to the reality that we have to get back to camp and Sam has to leave on a suicide run.

"We should go." I whisper hoping he didn't hear. But he did and we walked back to camp.

Lunch was bean surprise, the surprise is more beans. We ate and I helped pack up the car for the run.

"Anything you want me to being back?" He asks shrugging on his black jean jacket.

"You." I smile and kiss him on the cheek for good luck and back away as the car drives away.