Chapter 6

6

I pull away, a grimace shows on sam's face. Ty looks at me and winks, my face turning red, hoping Sam didn't see that. The way he looks at me, one eyebrow raised and his lips pressed into a straight line suggests otherwise. I huff, asking sam,

"How's the camp, any survivors?" The words rushed out of my mouth before my brain caught up.

"A few. We got all the corpses and we all agreed we are leaving to a new spot as soon as the sun rises."

I nod and turn around, in the direction of camp and started walking. I heard running behind me and soon felt a hand on my shoulder.

I stopped and turned around expecting Sam but it was Ty, his blue eyes like ice spears as they stare into mine.

"So your place or mine?" He gave me a grin full of mischief. I knew exactly what he meant and the way he said it was probably a punch to the gut for Sam.

"Not happening."

"Damn, I thought that kiss meant something special! The way you-"

"Shut UP." I didn't even have to look at Sam to see his expression. The way he breathed in, making it sound painful said it all. I turned around and bolted into the trees.

I didn't know what to expect to see when I got back to camp, but I would have never guessed what was In front of me. Mothers crying by their slaughtered children, a child laid beside a body that was once its parent. A man stumbled past me holding a human hand with a silver diamond ring on the ring finger and a tattoo of a cross along the side of the hand, below the beginning of the thumb. He stared at the hand with a look of loss.

Some were hugging their family members while others dragged bodies around towards two piles in the centre of camp. We've done this before: one pile for the members of the camp who were weaponless or couldn't run fast enough and ended up being eaten alive by undead freaks. The other pile was the corpses that stumbled into camp causing havoc and death of good people, the weak ones.

We burn the nobodies and bury our own. We hold ceremonies and pay our respects. We used to have a priest say a few words for the people who were Christian, but a couple of weeks ago he was put into the ground himself. That devastated a lot of people, others turned their faces from religion all together. People stopped praying for miracles and burned bibles. I wasn't a religious person, I might've been once but can't remember so I don't even bother with it.

Sam slowly walked up and stood in front of me. Not saying a word he wrapped me in an embrace, pulling me into his chest. He stroked my hair, resting his head on top of mine, still not saying a word.

"I'm sorry for acting the way I did," he whispers for only me to hear. Feeling guilty, I just nodded my head in response. I had to tell him.

"I kissed Ty. I'm so sorry. I just-"

"It's okay. It's not like we are together or anything. It's fine." I looked up at him and he gave me a sad smile. I so desperately wanted to tell him that I wanted to be together but I cant. It will only get in the way and if we ever have to leave each other in life or death decisions it will only be worse. I sound like a coward but it's true.

I pull away and stand beside him, "Now what?" I mutter.

"We get ready to leave, I guess. The sun will be up soon." I cringe as someone throws a match on the gas-soaked pile of corpses. They go up in flames, heat warming up the air. The weather is slowly getting colder, bringing something no one wants. Winter. We will freeze, that's for sure.

Sam slowly pulls me towards our tent as I stare at the bodies slowly burning to ashes, while others are being put in graves. I turn and walk into our tent and start packing my stuff. Everything I own fits into one duffel bag, including my sleeping bag. I help Sam take down the tent just as the sun peaks over the trees.

All of us meet in the centre of camp and soon leave. All the loss and memories weigh on us as we walk away to a new place that no one knows when we will find. We were on the road for weeks before we found this one, even longer for the one before. The risks are higher now with the shortage of people. once a camp of twenty-five, now thirteen.

A/n:

IM SOOOO SORRY FOR THE LONG WAIT!!!!! Stupid writers block ugh! well I think I deleted the twitter account, I just don't got time in my nonexistent life. Feel free to comment and ask questions, don't be shy!

Xx Jorden