Chapter 9

"Do we have reason to suspect him?" Camilla asked as she pulled her red gown on. She tucked her pistol into her garter and sealed it in place.

Connor helped her zip it up and met her gaze in the reflection of the mirror. "I have no idea how to answer this, Gracie. My mind is really fucked up right now."

She turned to face him and tugged his tie into place. She couldn't wrap her mind around the information she and Connor had learned earlier in the day. "This is the second night of Stephen's show. That's usually when all the buyers come out and things get a little crazy. I don't think I should leave his side tonight."

"Okay," he agreed with her. "Make sure nothing happens to him. I want him untouched."

"If we're both thinking what we've been thinking, you have my back, right?"

Connor frowned, lifted her chin with his finger and placed a comforting kiss on her forehead. "I've always got your back, Camilla Grace. You're my best friend. I love you like crazy."

She deeply sighed and pulled back far enough to meet his eyes. "Don't talk like that, Connor. It makes me think something might go wrong tonight."

"I can feel it," he said with the shake of his head. "I've never been scared like this before."

"Your brother will be fine. As long as we're there, he will be fine."

Connor forced a smile to his lips and nodded to agree with her. "He's lucky to have you. I hear he wants you to go with Italy with him."

Her brows furrowed in confusion.

"I know everything," he told her. His lips were pressed into a thin line to mask the true emotions on his face. "Go with him."

"My job," she reminded him. "I really don't want to leave it behind. I can't leave you behind."

"That's sweet, Gracie," he teased, tapping the bottom of her chin. "He's right, you know. I do take everything from him, but I'm not going to take you away. He needs you more than I do."

She blinked hard at him and took a step back, but his hand was on her wrist before she could get too far. "Connor..."

He looked down at his hand on her and shook his head, as if to shake the image of his flesh on hers. He couldn't seem to let her go. "If he doesn't tell you just how beautiful you are tonight, send him to me."

•••••••••••••••

Camilla watched as the two Devereux brothers spoke in secrecy regardless of the many eyes on Stephen.

She could tell Connor was briefing his brother with the look of surprise on his face. He looked around the room then back to his brother who casually lifted his head and tucked his hands into his pockets.

He whispered something else to Stephen. Then with the nod of his head, he walked away and met Camilla's gaze from across the room. He jerked his head to the empty hall, silently telling her to follow before disappearing from the crowd.

She casually walked through the crowd of guests and instinctively touched the gun placed inside her dress.

"Cami," Stephen called. He was quick to reach her and offered a small smile. "I have something to show you."

She looked down at the hand he had open to her and then back up to meet his eyes. "Connor needs me."

He dropped his gaze, dejected. "Of course he does."

She turned to where Connor had disappeared and deeply sighed before taking Stephen's hand. "Just one minute. I still have a job to do."