two

Valentine,

Playing with the ends of her hair, she flipped the page of her literature book, Romeo and Juliet, reading.

"Love is something strong." Her mother announced, leaning against her doorframe.

"Yes, mother?" She asked, not taking her eyes off the page.

"Checking on you." Was all she said staring at her daughter. Valentine rolled her eyes before marking her book and closing it.

"What do you really want?" Valentine knew her mom like the back of her hand. She use to watch her mother cry when she was younger due to her fathers actions.

Any chance she can get for her mother to bond with her, she would take it. Their relationship was thin but there.

"Seriously. I'm just checking you. Oh, some admirer left a white rose and a note, again."

For the past three days Valentine kept receiving the gestures, but would simply toss them.

"Throw them out."

"It's sweet. Do you know who he is?" Her mother asked, ignoring her request.

"No, and I don't want to know who it is." She lied just so her mother wouldn't have a fit and run off to her father.

"Well, he sure does know you." April walked out, but came back a few minutes with the gifts in her hands, setting them in her bed.

"Come on, Val. Whoever he is, is trying his hardest for your attention." April tried to encourage.

Valentine knew if her mother found out who was sending these, she'd be furious.

"Explain with dad then. He's been showering you with gifts and you still brush him off." Valentine snapped, trying to get her mom to change the subject.

With a hurt expression, April slowly got up exiting the room. Valentine felt severely bad but she knew her mom would lock her away somewhere else if she knew who sent these on going messages.

See you soon, love. She read on the note.

She looked at the rose, just twirling it between her thumb and index finger. Sniffing it, she gently smiled, but soon frowned.

"I thought red roses are more significant?" she asked, as they laid under the shady spot under the tree.

He wrapped his arms around her waist, as she leaned into his chest.

"I suppose, but I like white roses because unlike red roses they actually show more passion. It's traditional to use white roses fa' true luh'. Why do ya' think they use 'em in weddings?"

He kissed her temple, and she giggled admiring the gesture.

"Well, I love it." She turned her head, giving him a goofy smile.

"I luh' ya'." He pecked her lips, and she turned back around, looking at the lake.

"I love you." She whispered back, looking at the rose.

Tears streamed down her face remembering something she's been missing.

Quickly putting on a simple sweater and leggings, she put on her shoes. Scurrying downstairs, she needed fresh air.