Chapter Twenty-Nine- The Secret

Archer bit his lip as he fastened the necklace around my neck. It was actually a tracking device just in case something goes wrong tonight. He also cloned my phone, so everything I was going record tonight was going to be saved on his as well.

I was wearing my skinny jeans and black tank top with a sleeveless jean jacket over it. My hair was tied in a tight ponytail and I was wearing converse that were a bit bigger than my actual foot size, just in case.

Archer cupped my cheeks and smiled at me, “Look, be careful. Your Dad will be going with you, with another car of course, Jake and I will be keeping tabs on everything, and we're hearing everything you say. If there's something, you know how to beat the shit out of him, so I guess you won't really need us, but if you do, we're here, ok—”

“You're rambling, Archer,” I giggled. He smiled nervously and I placed my hand on his, “I'm going to be fine. Besides, this is just going to take about three days.”

“I know,” he sighed, “Just be careful.”

I nodded, “I'll be careful.”

“Good.”

His house wasn't that big

His house wasn't that big. Clearly not what I was used to now. It was a one story house with a small living room that contained three couches, a television, a few vases with flowers here and there, a glass coffee table in the middle and a cat sleeping on a pile of books. The walls were some kind of faded green and the lights of the living room were a bit dim. The curtains were tied, which gave us a view of the house next to his and some plants scattered around.

“I'm glad we're having this dinner. It's amazing to be able to hang out with you,” he grinned at me and I faked a smile.

“I could say the same thing. I've desperately been waiting for this night,” I said as I followed him to his dining room.

It was a bit smaller than the living room. There was an AC on the wall in front of us and a few lamps in the corners of the room. There was a table in the middle that had three lit candles, two plates and forks waiting for us.

Like a gentleman he made me sit down first and went to the kitchen to get our dinner. On the other hand, I took this moment to start recording our conversations. I placed my phone on the table next to my plate and waited for him to return with the food.

I was just about to text Archer when Will entered the dining room with two small pots. He placed them on the table in front of me. I was actually curious to see what he made for this dinner. If the plans would continue like normal, of course I'd kill him after eating. Everyone likes free food.

“Here I have some Shrimp Alfredo. I had to do everything in a hurry, since I got home a bit late. I hope you'll like it,” he smiled down at me as he started serving dinner.

I rested my hand on his forearm and smiled rather seductively, “Don't worry about it. It looks delicious.”

The tone of my voice was low, low enough to get him over the edge. I felt him tense up a little and I sensed that he was just trying to stay calm.

You're just fucking yourself over, Tris.

Once dinner was served, he went back to the kitchen to only return with a bottle of wine and two wine glasses. He filled about a third of the glass with wine and put it in front of me. He then poured himself some wine and sat down.

“You made this yourself?” I asked as I took a bit of my Shrimp Alfredo. Even though I hate him, I had to give it to him. The food was delicious. He nodded and I took another bite, “This,” I pointed at the food as I chewed, “Is delicious.”

A huge grin appeared on his fave and he took a slight bow, “Thank you, My Lady.”

I am most definitely not your lady.

“So, tell me a little bit about yourself. I'm pretty sure an exotic lady like you must have quite a story to tell,” he drank a bit of his wine, his piercing blue orbs never leaving my face.

“Not really. I'm just seventeen. I'm sure I have longer life to live. Nothing really exciting happened in these years,” I leaned back and crossed my legs over each other.

One of his eyebrows raised in amusement as he ran a hand through his chocolate brown hair, “Not quite believable, but if you're saying it, then it must be true.”

I took my glass of wine. My gaze left his face for a second before landing back on his rather charming, so he thought, smirk.

“I'm more interested in you,” I gestured towards him with my wine, “You've lived a longer life, I'm sure you have a better tale to tell.”

“Nothing really,” he chuckled, “I've led a boring life.”

I stared at him for a while, trying to figure out a way to get a secret out of his mouth. The secret only Dad and I knew. I faked a frown and the a shocked expression.

“I've been wondering where I've seen you,” I started and now he looked confused. Conned many people, huh? “I think I've seen you in a magazine before.”

His frown got deeper, “Excuse me? I don't understand what you're on about.” he cleared his throat and I shot him a knowing look.

“Now I remember clearly. Will Trinton, the owner of eighty million dollars.” I nodded, “I knew I saw you somewhere. Wasn't that you?”

He shrugged carelessly, “That is me, but I'm afraid I've never been in a magazine before.”

“Aren't you a business man?” I frowned.

He shook his head, “I told you, I'm unemployed.”

“Oh,” I faked a shocked expression, “Then where did you even get all the money from? Eighty million is a lot, you know.”

“Yeah. I- uh, got it from my ex-wife,” he said, making me frown.

What kind of excuse is that?

“Ex-wife? But... How?” I frowned.

“I know, not this one,” he breathed out in attempt of a chuckle, “The one before her.”

This time I felt shocked for real, “How many ex-wives do you have, dude?”

He cleared his throat, suppressing a laugh, “I only have two.”

“What happened to the other one?” I started with my wine again.

“She died in a fire.”

I nearly choked on my drink. My heart started beating faster and I did my best not to show any kind of expression that would give away any suspicious hints.

“I'm sorry to hear about her,” I said, mentally crushing his skull.

“It's fine,” he waved it off.

Bitch.

He cleared his throat and started cleaning up everything. He disappeared to the kitchen and with that I stopped recording. I can't believe he just lied to my face.

Ex-wife?! Fucking con.

Just as he walked back into the dining room, the doorbell rung and he released a heavy sigh. I nearly grinned evilly.

The ex is finally here.