Old memories and charcoal

It had been two months since they had met, and July was fast approaching. Alfred and Matthew had become very good friends, spending almost every moment together.

"Alfred! How many times have I told you not to take the ingredients!" Arthur scolded, as Alfred ran away, stuffing his face with chocolate chips.

"Ah let zem be." Francis said, laying a hand on Arthur's shoulder, his apron streaked with flour. Francis had invited both Arthur and Alfred over, and upon learning of Arthur's inability to cook but love of baking, insisted that he and Arthur make something together. Francis was making making little pain au chocolat's, which Arthur insisted on calling the only edible thing in France, and in return Francis called Arthur's scones charcoal. As Francis put the tray in the oven Arthur opened the window, hoping for some relief from the heat.

"Hey Francis what's in the backyard?" Arthur asked, seeing a large tarp covering most of the large backyard.

"A pool." Francis replied, setting the oven to the correct temperature. "If you want, we could go swimming." He offered, turning around to face the other man.

Arthur stuttered, trying to come up with an excuse to not go swimming, but a loud voice interrupted him. "A pool in your backyard! Mattie that's awesome! Can we go swimming please please please?" Alfred begged, having overheard them.

"S'il vous plaît?" Matthew asked, looking up at his father.

"Only if Arthur says it iz alright." Francis answered, ruffling Matthew's hair. As soon as the words escaped his mouth, two sets of large eyes turned toward Arthur, pleading.

"Please please please daddy?"

"I-I-I I guess that would be okay." Arthur stammered, cracking under the adorable pleas. "Oh but we don't have swimsuits."

Alfred's face fell, but brightened when Francis spoke up. "Alfred can borrow one of Matthieu's and you can borrow one of mine, mon cher."

Arthur nodded mutely, accepting the fact that they were going to go swimming. Francis walked outside to set up the pool, as Arthur trailed behind him, looking like a lost puppy. As Francis pulled back the tarp to expose the pool he noticed Arthur. "Need somezing, mon cher?"

"Ummm... well I-I." Arthur started, a blush creeping onto his cheeks.

"Oui?" Francis prompted, brows furrowing.

"I don't really know how to swim." The Brit whispered, glancing at the water fearfully. He expected teasing, and was shocked when Francis stood up and hugged him, turning him away from the water.

"You don't 'ave to get in if you don't want to. My bedroom iz on ze 'allway to ze right, ze clothes should be in ze top left drawer of ze dresser. Zat iz if you will join us." Francis whispered, his breath tickling Arthur's neck. Arthur nodded, stepping out of the embrace and heading into the house.

What the fuck was that? I should have slapped him! But that hug did feel nice...

He entered the Frenchman's bedroom, admiring how it was decorated. He quickly grabbed the swim trunks and went into the adjoining bathroom to change. As he was exiting he noticed a thick book laying on the bed.

Surely it can't hurt to see what he's reading. I wonder what his taste in books is like.

He opened it and found that it was not a book, it was a photo album. There was a little girl in a blue dress, chasing after a butterfly, and Arthur's heart melted at the sweet expression on her face.

This must be one of the little sisters he had mentioned. How adorable.

The next was the same little girl, now accompanied by three other boys, all standing together. One of the boys was hugging the girl, while the other two looked like they were doing everything in their power not to strangle each other. The photograph after that was of a little blond boy holding a baby, the caption under it said Marianne et Francis. There were more photos of what Arthur guessed was little Francis holding his sisters, until Arthur came to the largest photo in the book.

It was a group shot with Francis in the center, arms around a tall albino and a happy looking guy with tan skin. There were children Arthur recognized as Francis's sisters below them, with several more that Arthur did not. There was a stoic looking blond boy who was being hugged by a brown haired girl who's eyes were closed, both children looking around eleven years old. There was a little boy, about six years old, chasing one of Francis's sisters, a pretty girl with long brown hair that had a flower in it was holding the hand of the albino, and a boy that looked nearly identical to the closed eye girl but older seemed to be in the process of yelling at the other guy Francis had his arms around.

There was a knock on the door, and Arthur froze, book in his lap. "Arthur? I'm coming in, just wanted to warn you." The door flew open before Arthur had the opportunity to close the book. He hung his head like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar, expecting Francis to get angry at him for looking through his stuff. Instead, Francis surprised the Englishman by sitting next to him, wrapping an arm around his shoulder. "Arthur, mon lapin I see zat you 'ave found my photo album and sketchbook." He purred, flipping back to the picture with the three kids.

"I'm terribly sorry I shouldn't have gone through your personal belongings without your permission." Arthur mumbled, ashamed of himself.

"Again, it iz no problem. I was so cute when I was younger. Oh 'ell, I still am!" He laughed, looking down at the photo, blue eyes clouded with memories.

"Are you behind the camera for this? This is quite an adorable picture though. With those three boys and that cute blonde girl. Is she your sister?" Arthur asked. Confused as to why Francis was talking about himself when the photo seemed to contain one of his sisters.

"Well you are right, zis photo 'as trois boys and one girl, 'owever ze 'blonde girl' iz me." Francis sighed, a smile playing across his lips. "Ze group photo iz us at 17 ans." He said, flipping the pages. "Zat girl iz one of ze before mentioned little boys, and zat is Gilbert, 'er soon to be 'usband. Antonio iz on my ozer side, and zat boy yelling at 'im iz 'is 'usband, Lovino." Arthur studied Francis's face as he looked at the picture, longing written all over it.

Arthur flipped the page, and his breath caught in his throat. It was a photograph of Francis in a suit, kissing a beautiful woman in a wedding dress, her light brown hair cascading in waves down her back beneath her veil. Francis's and Emillise's wedding. He looked at Francis, and in the split second before Francis regained his composure, caught his look of utter heartbreak.

"'Ow about we go swimming now?" Francis suggested, standing up abruptly. Arthur nodded and stood up, hearing Francis's signature 'hon hon hon' laugh from behind him.

"Is everything alright?" He asked.

"Mon dieu, zat iz a splendid piece of French territory." Francis answered, pretending to swoon.

"What the bloody hell are you talking about..." Arthur asked, but trailed off when he saw what Francis meant. The swim trunks he had decided to put on were patterned with the French flag, and one was directly over his ass. "What the... You bloody frog!" Arthur yelled, halfheartedly smacking the Frenchman's arm. Francis just laughed, skipping out of the room.

Arthur walked down the stairs and into the backyard, seeing Alfred about to jump on Matthew, who was already in the water. "Alfie wait a second you still haven't put on sunscreen." Arthur said, worried about the risk of sunburn.

"Ok daddy!" Alfred chirped, running and grabbing the bottle. He pulled off his shirt, revealing a long, jagged web of scars on his back.

(A/N brb i'll just be running before my friend actually kills me for ending the chapter like this. 

GiD: ROMANO YOU PIECE OF SCHEßE GET BACK HERE 

RiD: HOW ABOUT NO THANKS I WANT TO LIVE)