Preparation

"Rise and shine, omegas!" Our room leader shouted, breaking us from our short sleep.

Like we did every morning, we all got up accordingly and began making our beds neatly, with us not speaking a word about how tired we were. Once we heard the bell ding that familiar sound of panic, we quickly stood up straight, hands folded, and stood next to our beds, waiting for inspection. The air was heavy as the silence began to make our minds frantic. Is mine okay? Will he get me today? I knew all the wonders in the room as our leader walked to each bed, with each omega tensing up as he stopped to check for imperfections.

Once he finally got to mine, I tensed up as well. I knew my bed was perfect, following regulation and whatnot, but, because I knew the torment of our leader, he was going to try and find something wrong for ammusement. He grinned that wicked grin at me and began to inspect. He glided his hand across my blanket, noticing the smooth surface I had. He bent down to check the folds of my sheets, which were perfectly placed underneath my mattress. When he surfaced, he checked my pillow to see it had no wrinkles and was perfectly fluffed.

With that his inspection of my bed was done, but I knew that the torment was only beginning. He had a way of always making someone's day miserable, and, with that pause he gave after my bed inspection was complete, I knew that someone was going to be me.

He turned to the other omegas, who all flinched at his evil smile, and gestured to my bed. "Omegas, please make an example Marley's neatness. He's perfectly grasped the proper way to make a bed, while all of yours' are disappointing in comparison." He turned back to me and put his filthy hand on my shoulder. "It's no wonder you're top of the class, my boy."

I nodded at him to show my appreciation, but deep down inside I was boiling. He did that on purpose, drawing everyone's attention to me with their jealous eyes judging my every move. They already hated me because I was number one, but, seeing as how I got praise from a man worst then the Devil himself, they all came up with thier own assumptions on how I obtained something so rare.

"Thank you, sir." I said monotonously.

He nodded and started back on his inspection. Everyone else kept thier glares on me as he finished. I stared down at the floor as I felt the daggers pierce my skin. I was used to thier hate for me, so I wasn't bothered by it. The only thing that troubled me though was that our leader liked to see me fazed, and if I wasn't, then he'd find another reason for me to be miserable. I always pretended to let it get to me.

After morning inspection was over, we had our breakfast and the majority of us went to class. The ones who didn't, such as myself, stayed behind to get ready for the auction tomorrow. We had to practice our etiquette and manners, plus learn to dress nicely for the occassion, not that we had a choice.

I wasn't at all excited for the auction as some of the other omegas. The alphas that put on the auction would dress the omegas up nicely and line them up to meet their soon to be mates. After the greeting and lecherous looks from the alphas were finished, they put the omegas on stage to begin the biddings. So basically, a bunch of rich alphas would come to buy omegas and drag them off to their home to do whatever they pleased, and I meant whatever they pleased.

I didn't want to be a part of it, but since I was at the age of maturity, sixteen to be exact, my body was ready to produce offspring, even though I was a guy. My hormones would start attracting other alphas by sending out pheromones until one of them claimed me. Normally, omegas would get to choose their mates freely, but, since I lived in a run down orphanage, they sold the omegas to any alpha willing to buy them. That was why they made sure we were ready to be with our mates before we reached maturity.

If I was lucky, then no alpha would be interested in me, and I would have to wait a whole other year before the next auction. I doubted that would happen, though, seeing as how I was top of my class. Most alphas wanted the best omegas, so that would make it difficult for me to not be bought.

After training, the teachers let us take a break from the preparations. We were all outside enjoying the fresh air, but the metal gates surrounding the grounds made me feel like I was getting play time in prison.

"Marley!" A familiar voice shouted.

I turned to see my good friend Peter. Well, more like my only friend. He jogged to me and threw his long arms around my neck. He was tall for an omega but was still dainty none the less.

"Aren't you excited for tomorrow?" He chirped happily. "Just the thought of us getting out of here to our future mates has me joyful."

I sighed in dismay at his enthusiasm. Peter was always the cheerful one because he had not yet experienced how alphas can be. Since he and I were in different classes, mine being advanced and his being remedial, we both experienced different styles of alphas. Mine were harsh and demanding while his were considerate and patient.

"I wouldn't necessarily say excited. More along the lines of depressed or terrified. You know, something horrid." I corrected.

He rolled his eyes playfully and tapped my head with his hand as if to say "oh stop, you". "Oh, come on. You don't mean that. Getting with our new mates means freedom from this place."

"It also means a new prison."

He laughed and shook his head in dismay. "You say that now, but once you meet your new mate, then you will feel like you're in paradise."

I stood there smiling at how naive he was. A part of me wanted to tell him all of the horrors I went through in the advanced classes, but most of me wanted him to remain chipper because he was the only thing that brightened my day. I was just going to feel bad if he were to be bought tomorrow, then he was going to know the truth.

"You could be right, Peter." I said giving up the argument.

He smiled happily, and we went on our way to enjoy our time together before the awful day we were going to have tomorrow. The only thing I could do now was hope I was bought by someone who wasn't completely savage.