Chat with Alex

I couldn't stop thinking about what I saw Nathan do to Alex. I knew what he was going through, but, when I saw it up close like that, it only brought back painful memories. The feeling of being taken advantage of because of the fact I was a lot lower than an alpha was all too familiar for me. I pitied him but knew there was nothing that could be done about it. We were both just stuck like this.

It had been about a week since then, and I had been avoiding Nathan and Alex like crazy. Only because I didn't know what I would say if I saw them, Alex especially. How could I carry on a natural conversation with him, knowing what Nathan did to him a week ago? I couldn't. I didn't know how to. It was going to be way too awkward, and I wouldn't be able to handle it.

James was being very protective of me as well. He took me wherever he went and kept me in his sights. He even followed me to the bathroom just in case. He didn't follow me inside, just waited at the door. Still, he knew there was something else going on. He wouldn't be so cautious if that weren't true. Did that mean Nathan would possibly do that to me?

I didn't want to think about it.

James and I were in the library as usual in the midday. I would read, and he would play on his phone as he sat with me. It was comforting to know he was looking out for me. I felt so overwhelmed with his protctiveness, though. I was used to having people around me all the time, but it was different with James. He didn't give me orders or breathe down my neck. He just sat near me, giving me company. I didn't like it. I wished he would at least say something to me, whether he gave me an order or was just starting a casual conversation. He didn't do that. He just stayed in one spot silently, patiently waiting for me to finish whatever activity I was working on.

I looked up from my book and stared at him, hoping he'd at least give me some sort of attention. One minute went by, and nothing. Two minutes went by, and, again, nothing. Five minutes...still nothing. I was beginning to wonder if James felt as uncomfortable as I did around him, and that was why he didn't really speak to me. Here I thought he wanted to be "friends" with me.

"What?" He asked curiously, finally looking up from his phone.

I was stunned for a moment and then shook my head to finish reading. He didn't say anything after that. He just went back to scrolling through his phone.

I couldn't take the silence. Since when were alphas so soft-spoken around omegas? They were supposed to come off more superior and authoritative to show us who was in charge. It still baffled me how James was so opposite from that.

"Do you not like me?" I asked, breaking the silence. Like I said, I couldn't take it.

James looked up from his phone quizzically. Obviously, he was taken aback by my question. "What do you mean?"

I shrugged. "I'm just curious."

He laughed uncomfortably and scratched the back of his head. "I like you..." He said. It sounded more like a question than an answer.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

He sighed. "Well...I don't really know you enough to like you, but I definitely don't hate you."

That was understandable. I felt the exact same way about him. Well, he seemed more likely to get to know me, while I just didn't care enough to try. Still, it was a fair answer, and I nodded to it, going back to reading my book.

"Why were you curious?" He asked after a couple of minutes.

I shrugged again, not looking up from my book. "Because you never try to talk to me and you're kind of stuck with me. I just figured you felt obligated to keep me around rather than wanted to."