An Awkward Dinner

Walking into a mansion was definitely not on my bucket list, but I also didn't ever think that I'd ever get the chance either. The old man had led me into the dining room, and if I was permitted to do it, my mouth would've dropped.

It was beautiful. The floors were a gleaming, amber marble, and the walls were white with a caramel-colored wood trimming. The ceiling was set up high with a grand chandelier hanging from the center of the room with two smaller ones on either side of it. The table was a rectagle shape that was longer than three of my bodies. Its wood was dark, and a white cloth sat neatly across the top with silverware, plates, cups, and other tableware sat perfectly in front of the matching chairs.

I stared in awe of the room. This mansion was definitely fantasy-like. Never in my life did I think that a fairytale would come to life before my very eyes, yet here I was basking in it all. In the back of my mind, all of me wished that I had been blessed to live in such a dreamy world. I would dine in a regal manor, eating whatever I fancied. My smile wouldn't have been forced or expected of when people looked at me...But any life would've been beter than the one I had lived.

Before I could get too lost in a dream, the old man brought my attention back to him by clearing his throat. I looked up at him, and he gestured for me to follow him to a seat. I waited for him to say I could sit down, which he nodded for me to, and I sat, feeling uncomfortable that I would be sitting at such an extravagant table. I mean, I was bought for pleasure and satisfaction, so it felt off for me to be treated so well. Then again, whoever the alpha I was assigned to might not care what happened to me behind closed doors. Or this was could be their way of saying they weren't like all the alphas I had encountered.

"Now then," the old man began as he eplained the rules. "I want you to sit here and present yourself politely to my son when he arrives for dinner. You will not speak unless spoken to and use correct mannerisms as you do so." He stated sternly.

I bowed my head respectively. "Yes, sir."

His eyes scanned over me again as if he wasn't sure if I meant that or not, but I knew the rules. From the time I was brought to the orphanage, I was trained to do exactly what he had just said, so I knew how to perform. The only thing that concerned me was what his son was like. I had mentally prepared for something to go wrong, but I wasn't sure if I could handle it or not. Still, it wasn't my decision anymore. I had to obey whatever my alpha said and pretend I enjoyed it in order to survive.

"Good." He said. He turned towards the entrance way and called for Carver. Once he came in, he bowed and waited for his orders. "Please call everyone down for dinner."

Carver nodded, but, before he could leave, the old man caught him by the arm and whispered something in ear. Carver replied with a respectful "Yes, Master" before he left, but I could tell whatever it was the old man had said to him wasn't a good thing. His eyes widened in disapproval for a split second, but I knew he couldn't refuse.

The old man turned and sat at the head of the table, just a few seats away from me. I stared at him curiously as he situated himself. I had never thought that the master of such a great mansion would retrieve and explain things to me on his own. I presumed that he would've had his servants do that for him, while he lounged around or did some financial work. In a way, it seemed like he was respcting me more by doing those things himself, but the voice in the back of my head kept nagging me not to get to comfortable around him. I didn't know him well enough to think he was a decent man. He could just be doing these things because he wanted to see how I acted personally. I just didn't know how decide which because he seemed so genuine, but, then again, he could have a really good pokerface.

Ugh! My head is hurting for thinking too much into this.

The old man cleared his throat, which only made me realize I had been staring. I cursed at myself, knowing for a fact that it was considered rude to stare.