Fight at Dinner

We all sat awkwardly at the very large table, while we waited for the other servants to bring out the food. The atmosphere only made me more nervous because no one was really conversing with one another. They all used casual conversations with asking about each other's day or discussing about their family matters, but it all felt very...off.

I mean, I couldn’t have gave a real opinion about family discussions because my past didn't set the stage for a normal life. However, this wasn't exactly what I imagined a "family" would be like. They all just asked simple questions that anyone would ask someone they hadn't seen in a while, like catching up. Their responses were also very effortless, almost as if they were repeating themselves. It was strange and very unpleasant to think that members of the same blood would talk to each other the way that they did, like they didn't care.

I looked down at my hands nervously, while they continued their conversations. I was relieved none of them took an interest in me as we waited, but I knew eventually that wouldn't last too long. I wasn't nessicarily scared. I knew how to present myself in social situations. What made me uneasy were the questions they would ask.

What if they wanted to know what the orphanage was like? I wasn't allowed to explain the "methods" they used to train me, but lying was against what the taught me as well. The best outcome was to sugar-coat the truth if they did ask. The more I thought about that, however, the more I kept thinking about how sharp Maxwell was. He seemed like he caught lies very easily, judging by his intimidating aura and knowing eyes.

I closed my eyes to get those thoughts out of my head as the servants set out the meal. I was too paranoid for all of this. I had no doubt that I was a capable and adaptive omega. My anxiety only grew because I was usnsure of who these people were and what they were like. The not knowing scared me.

"Ahem," James coughed as he tried to get my attention.

My eyes quickly darted to him. "Yes, sir?" I asked as calmly as I could.

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat and began to lean in close to me. My eyes widened slightly, wondering what he was trying to do, but I immediately made my expression blank so he wouldn't become offended. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

I cocked my head in confusion. Why was he sorry? What did he do?

"I had no idea my father planned on bringing you here, but I should've guessed he would." He glanced at his father annoyingly and turned back to me. "I just want to apologize for his actions."

I gave him a confused stare but nodded anyway. In all honesty, even though I was incredibly paranoid being here, I'd rather have been anywhere else but the orphanage. That place was horrible, and I was lucky to be bought by a rich guy who gave me a guest house all to myself for a night. Most alphas would've just took me to bed as soon as I was brought to their homes.

"So, omega," Nathan shouted across the table. I turned to him to find him smirking at me. I could tell he wanted to grab everyone's attention. "Where did you come from?"

I settled myself gently and looked him in the eyes, like I was taught. "Second Chance Orphanage, sir."

Nathan seemed rather surprised I answered so simply. It was like he was expecting a different reaction, like the timid omega he had under his arm. "Sir, you say?" He asked intirgued. "You're very polite."

The way he said that didn't sound like he was giving me a compliment. Nathan was trying to patronize me, to remind me that I was forced to be this way. I knew because my dorm leader did exactly the same to me. He had tried to belittle me every chance he had, but I eventually got used to that type of behavior and avoided it easily.