Chapter One

Chapter One

            I stepped out of my 2006 baby blue Volkswagen. I got my basketball from the floor of the passenger side. The sun was slowly starting to brighten up the sky. I looked at my watch: 5:30 a.m. I inhaled, letting my lungs fill up with the early morning air. I walked to the concrete court that was set off to the side of the park. I loved playing basketball early in the morning. I began to relax seeing there was no one here, until I heard the familiar sound of a ball bouncing rhythmically. No one came here at this time; I was always the only one. It was less than a week before school and now someone decided to come and steal my secret oasis? I sighed continuing walking, feeling slightly annoyed.

            Eventually, I saw the shape of a boy. He had to be the new kid that everyone was talking about. There was nonstop talk about how adorable he was, but he would probably end up being another popular jerk. I dribbled my ball to the other end of the court ignoring him. Him, having heard the sound of another ball, turned around. We locked eyes before he gave me a nod of acknowledgement.  I nodded back while getting my mp3 player from my pocket. I put on my headphones, checked my shoe laces, and started stretching. Feeling loose, I started my favorite playlist and began practicing.

            My body did exactly what it was suppose to do. The ball moved easily from hand to hand and between my legs, back and forth. I dribbled in going for the lay-up. I faked right and went left. I faked left and went right. I shot three pointers and two pointers repeatedly, knocked down free throws, and took a water break between each new drill. Finally finished, I sat down on the ground and stretched again like I did every time I finished. Done stretching, I stood up to put my mp3 player back into my pocket. I looked down at myself. I was soaking wet, drenched. I took off my tank top and just wore the sports bra I had on. While trying to wipe off some of the sweat, I remembered the boy who was there. I looked down the other end of the court and saw him sitting on his basketball. He was watching me. How long though? I looked over at him and he smirked. I gave a little wave and began to walk away. I was almost to my car when I finally heard his voice calling out to me. It sounded so beautiful to my ears.

            “Hey, you’re pretty good,” He yelled out making my heart pound.

            “Thanks.” I called out.

            He waved while I got in my car. I looked at my watch: 8:30a.m. While putting on my seatbelt, I checked my cell phone. I had text messages from both Sophie and Randi setting a time for our video chat. We had promised not to open the letter that told us our senior year schedules by ourselves. I felt kind of giddy whenever I said it: my senior year.

            I drove away from the park and arrived at the only house in the neighborhood with big gates that had a giant S on the front. I pressed the code box entering the seven digit password. I parked my car in the 6-door garage and unlocked the front door of the two story mansion. As I entered into the grand living room, I saw Wanda, a college student who helps part time around the house. She’s studying to get her business degree because she wants to start her own boutique. Things she designs are amazing. Why couldn’t I create anything like her? Sometimes I felt a little envious of her talent.

            “Jordan?” She asked without turning around.

            “Yeah it’s me Wanda.”

She turned to smile, “How was your workout?”

            “The usual . . . besides that I saw a glimpse of the new boy everyone is talking about.”

Now I had caught her attention. “I bet he was cute!”

I shrugged, “He’ll probably turn out to be a jerk like all of the others.”