Chapter Three

Chapter Three

“Hey. How’s it going?” He asked.

            I just stood there for a little while feeling nervous. “Hey, it’s going good. Come on in. Are you here to see my mom?”

            “Actually I came here to see you.” He replied.

            I froze mid step. “Me?”

            “Well you said I could come over anytime. I wanted to know if I could practice in the gym for a little while. I was wondering why you didn’t show up this morning, but then I saw a whole bunch of little kids playing around. I would have called but I don’t have your cell phone number.”

            “Oh.” I mentally smacked myself was that seriously all I could come up with? I tried to rack my brain for something else to say. “I don’t mind and I’ll give you my cell phone number before you leave.”

            “Mom!” I called out, “Caden’s here. He’s going to use the gym.”

            “That’s fine sweetie.” She called back from the living room.

            I stepped back, “You remember the way right? I’m just going to be upstairs in my room.”

            “I was kind of hoping that you’d practice with me. I have a few friends here but none of them are as good as competition as you are.”

            I blushed a little, “Sure just let me find a pair of shorts.”

            I went upstairs and changed. I popped in a couple of mints, not wanting my breath to smell bad or anything. I walked into the gym and saw that he’d already grabbed a basketball and was starting on layups. I glided over towards the ball rack and picked one up, joining him. We quickly developed a routine. An hour later after we’d finished, I grabbed two bottles of water from the vending machine and passed him one.

            Out of habit, I pulled off my shirt revealing my sports bra. I hadn’t even realized I’d done it until I saw Caden trying so hard not to look, not to mention he was failing miserably. Apparently Randi was right about my so called ‘fit body’. I tried to think of something to say.

            “So what all classes do you have?” I asked.

            He let out a breath, happy for a distraction. He listed off his classes one by one. We ended up having four classes together. I don’t know why but this made me feel giddy. He pulled a purple bag of skittles from his shorts. I gave him a strange look.

            “What? I’m addicted to these skittles.” He said defensively.

            I put my hands up, “Hey I wasn’t judging! I’m a tootsie roll freak.”

            He smiled at me and I felt the tip of my ears burn.

            “I have something I want to ask you.” He said.

            “Shoot.”

            “I was wondering if you could help me get a job at the store you work at.”

            I nodded, “We’re looking for some new employees. I could help you.”

            He grinned at me graciously, “Thanks. That’s really cool of you.”

            We sat there in a comfortable silence, each enjoying the other’s company.

            “Do you want some ice cream?” I asked, “I usually eat it after practice unless I have to work.”