Chapter Two

Chapter Two

            I was pretty sure that my mouth was wide open. A popular guy, making excuses to talk to me? I couldn’t stop thinking about what he’d said to me. I was in daze for the rest of my shift. When I clocked out, I turned on my phone to see that I had a missed call from my mom. I unlocked the phone and redialed my voicemail to listen to her message. I heard my mom’s voice. She sounded slightly panicked instead of her usual calm demeanor.

            “Jordan, do you remember the family I told you about, the ones from Colorado? They’re coming to discuss details about what kind of house they want over dinner tonight. Today is the only day than can come. Sorry it’s so short notice, but you could go over Randi’s and borrow some clothes. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind.”

            I heard the chime of the door bell ringing in the background. My mom asked Wanda if she could answer the door. Wanda replied with a simple yes ma’am.

            “That’s them right now. I’ll see you when you get here honey. I love you! Bye.”

            I closed the phone and dialed Randi’s number. She immediately agreed to let me borrow something of hers. I arrived at her house and knocked on the door. Her mom opened the door and ushered me in.

            “Randi?” She called out, “Jordan’s here.”

            I walked up the stairs then turned left to go to Randi’s room. She looked like she was still finding things. The outfit was lying on her bed. It was a red skirt paired with a black tank top and a stripped red jacket.

             “You’re going to try to send me to dinner with a family or to meet the mayor?” I asked.

            “Oh hush. The family might have a cute boy. You need to show off your legs.”

            I decided to make a deal with the fashion guru. “The only way I’ll wear a skirt is if you let me wear my diamond stud earrings as my only jewelry.”

            She stopped for a moment to consider the offer. “Shake on it.”

            I was shaking her hand when another thought popped into my mind. “How about you do my hair too?” 

            “Definitely.”  She smiled at me. Going into her bathroom, she brought out her curling irons. She plugged them into the socket and got to work on my hair. Ten minutes later she had pinned my hair to the side and had curled the ends. I thanked her about a billion times.

            “Good luck with everything.” She laughed.

            I left her house and took my time driving to my own. I pulled up and saw a black Mercedes in one of the six garages. I slowly stepped out of the car, careful not to wrinkle the skirt. I unlocked the door and heard laughing.

            Walking towards the dining room, I heard my mom asking questions. I finally built up my nerve and entered through the door. Everyone paused for a moment. Suddenly I noticed just how snug Randi’s skirt fit.

            “How’s everyone doing?” I asked breaking the silence.

            “Hey sweetie, meet the Hendrix family.”

            My head snapped up. Instantly, my eyes scanned over the table. Gradually, I saw him. Caden Hendrix. He was looking straight at me with a wide grin.

            “Nice to meet you guys. I’m Jordan.”

            I spotted his mom next to him. She looked very pretty with her dark features. I also noticed that she was petite.