Chapter 7. Trust Goes Both Ways

So far, things seem to be a little edgy for our heroes. Wonder what they will do next...

I don't own Star Wars.
========================================
Cassian's P.O.V.

Krennic and I aren't the best of friends. If by anything, we suck when it comes to friendship. And I hate remembering how weak I was yesterday. It annoys me to reflect on the fact that I was so willing to let his comfort soothe me.

Bodhi is trying to encourage the two of us that everything is great. I don't know what Krennic thinks but I certainly dislike having to work with him. It wasn't my idea to let him tag along in our lives and yet somehow I ended up agreeing to the whole thing. I wish I had thought the deal through a little more.

Currently, I'm standing outside the cottage with Bodhi and Krennic. Bodhi is convinced that we'll become better partners if I teach Krennic how to fight with a staff, as blaster are nearly useless in this world. In the Realm of Muertos, you can't die because you're already dead. Knockout is the only way you can win fights.

"Please, Cassian! I'm sure it would be great for him and you to practice together," Bodhi pleads.

"I don't want to teach him!" I snap. Bodhi jumps at my response. I guess I used a harsher tone towards him than I'm proud to admit. His face says it all and I can see what looks like tears starting to form at his eyes. "For Kriff's sake, Bodhi!" I growl as I grab the staff and head off to where Krennic is failing at handling a staff.

It's a rough practice time. We spar against each other nearly constantly, as I found this the most effective way to learn when I crossed over to the realm (I had someone by the name of Satele Shan teach me). Despite how fast Krennic was at learning how to maneuver the staff, I wasn't in the mood to cooperate with him and I criticized the smallest of mistakes he made. Krennic is a disaster when it comes to keeping a sturdy footing, the most crucial thing to staff fighting.

I know I don't have the patience to keep teaching him for an hour. I draw the last straw when Krennic leaves me an opening on his right side. I swing the staff through the opening and whack him over the head with my staff. Krennic collapses to the ground, groaning as Bodhi steps in and grabs my staff so I can't swing it around any more.

"Perhaps you should cool off by the seaside," he says in a calm voice.

"You're probably right," I respond and head off to the beach, my staff in tow.

I reach the beachside and kick the sand aimlessly. It's not fair! Why did I have to go through hell for the crossover trial when all Orson had to do was to accept acceptance? What kind of a test was that? And I wouldn't be surprised if Bodhi had gotten an easy trial too. Why couldn't I have had something nice and easy, like testing to see if I was capable of holding my own against one of those Markavipes? But no! I saw my friends and family being torn apart, the regrets that I lived with since I was a child, but most of all, seeing K2 and Jyn fall before my eyes.

Tears begin to prick my pupils. I don't know how much longer I can stand this mental pain. I hope we find Jyn soon. I don't want to find out something terrible has happened to her. What if it was it possible for those in the Realm of Muertos to die again?

My chest hurts form lack of oxygen. I try to concentrate on my breathing but it becomes shallower the harder I focus. Whether it's true or not you can't die in the realm, right now I feel like I'm going to die.

Orson's P.O.V.

What is Cassian's problem? I ask for him to help me learn how to defend myself in this realm and all I get is his full anger plus a large bump on my head. I know the guy went through a rough time, but really? He needed to get some anger management help.