Chapter 17. Scarif

Please excuse the OOC Tarkin moments in this chapter.

I don't own anything.
========================================
Orson's P.O.V.

My head hurts terribly. I know I haven't been unconscious for long, because I don't remember blacking out. What gives the blackout away is the fact that I don't really remember what's going on. I lay there on the ground for a while, wondering what was digging into my back and hand. It's not until I decide to find out do I realize I'm laying on my staff awkwardly and my hand's bleeding from holding the sharp piece of metal so tightly. I let the piece of metal go.

When my memory is returned, I find the strength to sit up. I'm laying in a lot of soot and the wind it softly blowing it across the landscape. Is this what Scarif had become?

It takes all my strength to stand. I can feel every blaster bolt hit I received from the stormtroopers. It hurts a lot more in the physical realm than it did in the Realm of Muertos. I wonder how Jyn was feeling.

Jyn! I completely forgot about her! I begin searching for her through the massive piles of soot. She could be anywhere since she was torn from my arm. Hell, she could be on a different planet. What were the closest planets to Scarif? I take my staff off and use it as support to walk around, which is hard to do with the uneven ground. "Jyn!" I call, hoping she'd reply. I doubt it. The wind is blowing away my words.

I find her by a small swamp. Wait... Cassian said she died with him near a water source... which means that I had probably landed right about where the tower had been.

Jyn is laying in a crumpled heap. I reach down and carefully turn her over so she's on her back. She begins to cough and I support her head on my knee. She's awfully pretty, even in this sickly state.

Jyn's eyes finally open a little. "Papa..?" She whispers. I wish Galen was here. He would know what to do in this situation.

"Hey, Jyn," I whisper. "How do you feel?"

"Like reekshite," she replies. She coughs a little before croaking for water.

I set her head down. "I'm going to look for some. I'll be right back." I don't hesitate and run as fast as I can, searching for some clean water for her to drink. My wounds sting terribly but there are more important things than whining about injuries. I search as long as I dare to leave her. Unfortunately, there's nothing. I can't find a single drop of clean water. I don't want to return to her without some water but I don't think I have a choice. I can't leave her alone for too long.

I return and tell her the truth. Jyn just groans. "I'm sorry," I say quietly.

"Who are you?" She moans. "I can't see straight."

I hate having to answer this question. No doubt about it, she'll lose whatever trust she has in me now if I tell her the truth. When I don't answer in a reasonable time, Jyn reaches up and begins patting the top of my head. They weren't the most gentle pats but I didn't care. "What are you doing?"

"You sound familiar... I think I know you... I'm trying to find out if I recognize you..." I don't like the way her hand is prodding around my face but if it makes her feel more secure, fine.

Jyn's hand finally traces my jawline just as eye unfocused eyes start to coordinate themselves. Her eyes widen and she jumps back. "Krennic?!" I try to stop her before she hurts herself but she slaps my hand away. "Get away from me!"