Prologue

I thought I should put the note at the beginning. So as you can obviously see I'm writing a new story. I have it finished already so I'm just going to publish pieces at a time.
Thanks for reading!
Be brave,
Christina 🔥

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Tris's POV

"Are you excited yet?"
"A little bit."
"Only a little bit? Tris, we're going on a cruise!"
I roll my eyes, but give Christina a big smile because I really am excited. We've been saving ever since we found out about the cruises our college participates in. Each year, just before either summer semester or winter semester, they have an agreement with California Cruise Lines where they allow students to purchase a 14 day cruise, to Mexico in the summer, or Alaska in the winter, at a discounted rate. It's a way to allow us to unwind during whichever break we choose before the new semester starts, and to say thanks for paying us all of this tuition money.
"I made a check list of all the things we should bring with us," she says as she pulls out her phone. "Okay, first the essentials. Toothpaste, toothbrush, hairbrush, deodorant-"
"Christina," I interrupt, "I think we're both smart enough to bring those absolute basics."
"Hey, I've forgotten these things before, so I never go anywhere without my handy dandy list," she says, waving her phone around.
"Okay, fine. List away," I say. She continues on listing things off as we both check our suitcases for them.
"Okay. How many outfits did you pack?"
"Well, it's a two week cruise, so fourteen."
"Tris."
"Christina, I'm not like you. I don't have a million things to choose from. I packed the basics. I'm good."
She laughs and then makes her way over to our closet. We room together, and even though we're lucky enough to have a walk-in closet, it is admittedly eighty percent hers, twenty percent mine. She flips through my side and pulls down a couple cute tops before riffling through her own. "There. A few extras won't hurt. Good thing we're the same size. And now for the rest of it."
I sigh and sit on the foot of my bed. There's no way I'm going to be able to stop her, so I watch as she pulls out a few pairs of pants and shorts each, some leggings, and goes back to the closet to pull out two dresses.
"Cute underwear check," she says as she starts poking through my bag.
"Hey. My underwear are just fine," I say.
"That's the problem, Tris. You gotta live it up a little! Wearing a cute pair of panties isn't going to hurt!"
"Christina," I say with a smile, "Nobody's going to see my panties but me."
"Well then maybe, that's the problem."
I blush a little, but she's right. I haven't really seen anyone since before I moved here last year. But after my last foray into the dating world, I've been okay with that.
"Move," I say to her as I open a dresser drawer. I poke around for a minute before pulling out a few pairs. "One neon pink lace, one sheer black, one blue silky material, and one lime green thong. Better?"
"Much," she says with a smile.
"You do know that I'm not looking for any sort of relationship, right?"
"I know. No pressure from me. But if you do happen to spot a cute boy," she winks, "at least you're prepared."
"Ha!" I say. "You're a funny girl."
"Boys are no joking matter." We laugh as I stuff the underwear in my suitcase.
"You got your suits, right?"
I nonchalantly nudge the bag containing my new suits further underneath my bed. "Yep."
"Tris, I know you're lying and I'm not even looking at you. Besides," she says as she ducks past me and retrieves the bag, "I saw that."
"Christina, I just don't know if I'm comfortable with those."
"Tris, you cannot wear this," she says as she pulls my old, plain one piece out of my suitcase.
"Why not?"
"Well for starters, it looks like a mom suit."
"A mom suit?" I say, raising one eyebrow.
"Yeah, you know. The type of thing a mom wears. You are 20 years old and not a mom. Besides, I made sure they were tankini's. There's just a small strip of skin showing at the bottom of the top and it covers your back more. It's technically the same amount of fabric, maybe more. Plus, I may have gotten you something else."
"Oh god. What now?"
She digs in a bag and pulls out a knee length black tunic. "It's still sorta sheer, like we'll be able to see your suit color and stuff, but I thought you might like the extra coverage."
"Oh, Chris. You do love me."
"You bet your ass I do. You packed something for 80's night, right?"
"Oh crap. I totally forgot about that. And I don't think I have anything."
"Quickly! To my car!" Christina says dramatically, "There's nothing a little shopping can't fix!"
I laugh as she grabs my hand and drags me out the door.

"Okay. I think you've packed so much extra stuff for me, my suitcase is going to bust at the seams," I say as I plop down on our couch, exhausted from an afternoon of digging through thrift stores and vintage shops. "If I find anything while we're in Mexico, I'm going to have to wear it off the ship just so I can get it home."
"Don't worry," Christina says as she flops down next to me. "I shoved an empty duffle in mine, just in case."
"Always prepared for unforeseen purchases," I tease.
"Hey! You'll thank me later."
Even though we've both been going non-stop since early this morning, neither one of us can really relax. We keep going over all the things we want to do, all the food and drink we want to try, and Christina keeps describing all the hot bodies she wishes to see.
The more I listen to her, the more looking doesn't seem like such a bad option.
Neither one of us can sleep, so we put in a movie and snuggle up with blankets on our couch, anxious for tomorrow.