Chapter 21: At Some Point I Did

It's been so long since I've seen the orphanage. The building was still the same with the fading red brick walls and the stone steps leading to the interior of the orphanage. The grass was neatly cut and there were roses and lavenders trailing the little stone road leading to the steps. Two large trees occupied both sides of the orphanage, kind of making the place look like a drawing from a kindergartner. The weather chose to be in a good mood today. The clear blue skies and the sun just made the orphanage even more welcoming.

As my mother and I entered the orphanage, we were met with a cherry blossom smell and I inhaled the refine interior with a sigh. My mother just smiled and made her way to the counter, where a male receptionist was typing aggressively on the keyboard.

"Hello." my mother greeted, getting his attention as he looked up at my mother with a blank expression.

When his eyes met mine, his mood imediately changed in to a much more joyful one. "Hello there. How can I assist both of you today?" he asked, his eyes still locked on to me as a wide smile formed on his lips.

"We're here to meet with Elouise Francesca." my mother replied, mentioning Nana's real name.

The guy nodded and went in to a glass door behind him. After a few minutes, the all too familiar face of my Nana appeared through the cracked open door and she rushed out, giving me a tight hug that I reciprocated.

"Alana oh my goodness!" Nana smiled and wiped some tears on her face as she looked at me with so much love. I felt like crying as well. But I held in the tears since the last thing I wanted to do was cry in front of the woman that took care of me ever since I was born.

"Hey Nana." I mumbled as a sheepish smile formed on my lips. I felt like a little girl again, in my Nana's warm embrace, and no worries in the world. I may be living the good life right now but I just wanted to be normal for once. All of the money, the dresses, cars, I want those to disappear. If only I hadn't been adopted... I could've been the real Alana.

"Honey, are you ok?" my mother asked as she squeezed my shoulder.

I nodded with a small smile and removed myself from my Nana's arms. It was too late for that now Alana. Sometimes hopes and dreams will be shattered. Can't do anything about it anymore. I'm 24, a grown woman that's getting married god knows when! I should just start thinking about the future, children not included, and move on from the past. Haley still haunts me and I just want to see him again for once. Say a little Hi then just leave. Get that stupid heart aching feeling out of me. Oh Haley, why did you just disappear?!

"Um, so how's the orphanage?" I blurted out stupidly, staring at the guy who was typing furiously on the keyboard again. He looks awfully familiar.

Nana patted my back with a wrinkled smile, "Same old. Just a few new children that's all." she then frowned and I could see the pity in her eyes.

"Oh." I shrugged and embraced my Nana before walking over to the counter to see that the receptionist was playing some kind of game on the computer. Pfft, no wonder he's typing like the world's gonna' end. He's playing a video game!

"Hey." I said as he shuffled for the mouse and clicked the mini bar icon, bringing the goblins and wizards in to a small tab. I bit the bottom of my lip as I suppressed my laughter at the blushing guy.

"Leonard!" Nana suddenly bellowed, walking up to the guy, Leonard, and slapping the back of his head. "How many times do I need to tell that you can't be playing your video games while working!"

My eyes widened as I stared at the cowering blond. Leonard was some kid I picked on back when I lived in the orphanage. He's just 2 years younger than me and has a older brother which is Leo, the one I made a stupid deal with years ago. Looking at him now, Leonard's vulnerable expression was still there as Nana scolded him. His features were much more masculine. His eyes were a deep hazel color, bits of yellow and brown around his irises. His blond hair was much more of a dirty blond kind of color. Large brown eyebrows almost covered by his curly bangs caught my attention as they furrowed, the same reaction when I would yell at him for stepping on my foot on accident.