Chapter 05: The Call

Officer Turner's POV:

The sound of my all-too-loud ringtone blasts me out of my nap. I reluctantly force myself off of the couch and to the kitchen. As soon as I reach the counter and pick up the phone, the ringing stops short.

I look down at the screen. It's Raiden. Why would he hang up in the middle of calling me? I think to myself. I call him back. No harm in checking.

It could be a mistake, but, well, I'm already awake. I yawn as I hold the phone to my ear, waiting for him to pick up. The line rings and rings, and I'm eventually sent to his voicemail.

I hang up after being prompted to leave a message and redial his number. I balance the phone between my ear and shoulder as I look for my phone book. I set it on the counter and start flipping through it.

He still doesn't pick up. I redial. If he's right by his phone, why isn't he picking up?

After a little searching, I find Raiden's father's number.

Once more, I'm sent to voicemail.

"Raiden, this is Officer Turner. When you get this, please call me back."

I hang up and quickly dial the new number. He picks up quickly.

"Hello?"

"Mr. Loeffler? This is Officer Turner. I came to investigate the break-in at your house?"

"Oh. Yes. Hello, Officer. What can I do for you?"

I push away from the counter into the center of the room. I can't keep still. "Is your son with you?"

"Uh... No. He went out about half an hour ago. Why? Do you have some new information?"

"I'm sorry. No. Your son called me but hung up before I could answer. I tried calling him back, but he wouldn't ans-"

"Excuse me," he interrupts, "but I'd like to try and call him myself."

"Of course."

He hangs up immediately, giving me a chance to wake up some more. I put on a pot of coffee and look at the time. 7:17. I've only been asleep for a little over an hour. After a long day, I passed out on the couch as soon as I got home.

I pour myself a cup of coffee from the pot. I hold it close and let the steam hit my face to wake me up more.

The phone goes off again as I take my first sip. I sigh and trade the mug for the phone.

"Hello?"

"He's not answering!" Raiden's father screams at me.

"Mr. Loeffler, please calm down."

"NO! Something's wrong! He left a note in his room. Please, something's really wrong..."

"I'll be right over, Mr. Loeffler."

"Thank you! Thank you!"

I hang up and pour the coffee from my mug into a travel container. It's still going to be a long night...

After a short drive, I arrive at the Loeffler household again. Mr. Loeffler is in the driveway before I have a chance to turn my car off. He guides me through his house, back to Raiden's room, and opens the door.

He breaks down as we reach the threshold and leans against the wall, hyperventilating.

"Please calm down. I'm sure there's an explanation," I weakly comfort.

He doesn't answer and points to the bed. I walk over slowly, taking in how different the room looks. Everything is clean and in its place. The bed is perfectly made and a small note lies perfectly centered on the bedspread.