Chapter 10: Home

Raiden's POV:

I sat in the windowsill, watching hopelessly as Turner and that other cop drove off. Now at least I knew that Adam wasn't lying about the room being soundproof.

When Adam told me that Turner was coming over to interview him, I was almost sure that would be the end of all of this. Turner would search the house and somehow find the trap door. Or he would hear the banging I'd made and investigate what the sound was.

He wasn't supposed to sit down there and do nothing. He wasn't supposed to believe them. He wasn't supposed to leave me here.

I waited patiently for the inevitable.

Adam opened the trap door a couple minutes later to join me with a smug smirk on his face.

"It's finally over, Rai."

I snapped my head around. "What do you mean?"

"They're done looking for you."

"No."

"Yes. That note you left behind was very convincing. Everyone believes you ran away."

"What note? What did you do, Adam?!"

"It was for us, baby." He coaxed me forward and sat behind me. "You'll understand soon."

His arms surrounded my waist and I let him pull me against his back and between his legs. I reached up to my face to stop my watery eyes. There was no way I was going to let him see me cry. Not again.

"I hate you," I whimpered.

"No you don't," he whispered. He leaned forward and kissed my neck as I tried not shudder. "I love you. And I'm not going to let anyone take you away from me. Ever."

I sniffed and tried not to cry. After a few silent minutes, he started to rock back and forth and ran his hands through my hair while humming some tune I recognized but couldn't quite place. I wanted to tell him to stop, but... It was so comforting...

It shouldn't've been. In the arms of my kidnapper after learning that they'd given up looking for me, I shouldn't've felt that safe...

But...

...

No.

They hadn't given up on me. They couldn't have. He was bluffing. He was messing with my head again.

I went back to my reality list.

My name is Raiden Loeffler. I'm sixteen years old. I have two parents who love me very much. Turner is still searching for me. I will be found.

"Raiden," Adam cooed as he set his head on my shoulder. "I know what you're thinking. Stop being so defiant."

I took a deep breath. He didn't have a clue about what I was thinking. Well maybe he had the general idea, but he couldn't possibly know how deep the hate (or 'defiance' as he called it) went within me.

He leaned in closer to my ear with a slight smile on his face and his voice a whisper. "No one is looking for you. No one cares you're gone. You're better off here. With me. I love you, Raiden. And I won't let anyone take you from me. You belong here... You'll understand soon..."

"You're wrong..."

"This is your home now."

"It's not."

"You know I'm telling the truth. It's okay. You can give up fighting."

"I won't..."

"You'll feel so much better."

"No..." My voice decided that would be a good time to break down and crack.

In response, Adam tightened his grip around my waist in an attempt to comfort me. "Shh... It's okay, boo. That's enough for today. I'll go bring you up lunch and then leave you alone until dinner time. But tomorrow, if you'll behave that is, my mom wants to spend some time with you. Do you promise to be good?"

I swallowed down the sick pressure in my chest from trying not to cry and nodded my head.

"Good. She'll be glad to hear that. I'll be right back."

He kissed the top of my head and hurried down the stairs.