Chapter 12: Cousins​ (part 1)

Raiden's POV:

"Raiden..."

"Raiden... Wake up..."

"Raiden! I'm serious!"

"I need to talk to you."

"Uhh," I groaned, signaling that I was awake and he could stop shaking me. "What do you want?"

"I need to discuss something important with you. Now wake the fuck up!"

"No. Make me."

A couple still seconds went by, and I was almost sure he was going to let me sleep. Instead, he slowly pulled himself on top of me, running his hand through my hair, and kissed me roughly.

I pushed up against his chest but he held me down harder against the mattress.

After a couple more seconds, he lifted himself up and leaned down next to my ear. "You don't know how long I've wanted to do that..."

"I'm up. What the fuck do you want?" I glared at him with an edge to my voice.

"I need you to get up. We're having company over and you need to get ready." He pulled me into a sitting position and bent down at my ankles to unlock the shackle.

Against my inner voice telling me to attack him and run, I sat still in the same position until he told me to move. Every possible chance to appear obedient would help him trust me more. More trust would give me greater chances to find a way out.

"Okay. So, I need you to take a shower first of all. It's been, what, a week you've been here? I got you a change of clothes too."

He held out his hand to help me up. I braced my hand against the ground and pushed myself up. No matter what, he needed to understand that I didn't need help with everything. I could stand without assistance.

I was still independent and he needed to accept or at least understand that.

He grabbed onto my upper arm and dragged me down the stairs to the second floor bathroom.

He pushed me through the threshold and pulled the door shut. A lock clicked on the other side. "I'll be back in an hour or so. Take a shower, get dressed, and do whatever you need to. And please don't try to drown yourself."

"Got it," I shouted sarcastically through the door. I wasn't that desperate...yet.

First I turned on the shower head to cover the noises I was bound to make. Then I started looking around to see my options.

A vanity. Shampoo and conditioner. Liquid body wash. A towel and washcloth. Change of clothes. Toothbrush. Toothpaste. Mouthwash. Electric razor.

Nothing to use as a weapon. Not even a manual razor to break and take the blades from.

I sighed. Of course there wouldn't be anything. He would have thought to check for stuff like that. In a last effort, I grabbed onto the door knob and turned it as carefully and quietly as I could. It wouldn't give.

I locked the door from my side, stripped down, and stepped in the shower. I might as well clean myself while I was there. I'd been trapped up there for a week (apparently) and I felt disgusting. There was nothing to prove by refusing to bathe. So why not?

A little over half an hour later, I stepped out of the shower. I'd somehow managed to scrub most of the sweat, oil, and the rest of the filth off of me.

I dressed quickly in the clothes Adam had left me. A nice button down, khakis, boxers, and ankle socks. Not really my thing, but it was better than the week old clothes or staying unclothed.

I shaved my facial hair and brushed my teeth. Just before I was done, Adam unlocked the door from his side. No warning. No instructions. He unlocked it and left without a word.

I finished brushing my teeth, perplexed by his actions.

Why would he leave? Surely he didn't trust me.

I unlocked the door on my end and pulled it open as quietly as I could. Nobody was in the hallway. I exited the bathroom and checked around both corners. Nobody. Not Adam. Not his mother.

My mind snapped from theory to theory about what was happening, and finally screeched to a stop with realizing they were probably downstairs.

...

But what if they weren't? What if by some crazy aligning of the stars they weren't downstairs in between me and the door out of here?

It's not like I could pass up a chance like that.

One step. Nothing. Two steps. Nothing. Three. Nothing. Four. Maybe I should try going out the window. Five. 'Cause obviously they couldn't have left me completely alone. Six. Yeah, maybe I should use the window. Sev-

"Where are you going?"

Fuck... I turned slowly around to face Adam. "Nowhere..."

"Oh really?" He pushed off from the wall and pulled the trap door down. "Come on then," he goaded.

I looked over my shoulder to the window. I could make it. Just bolt to it and jump onto the roof, jump to the ground, and run like hell. Someone would see me. Or hear me.

...

But I'd never make it...

They're faster than me. Stronger. Just better in general.

Even if I did get out, no one would care. Not really.

"Raiden? You coming?" He ​held out his hand to me, this eyes showing his obvious hope that I would one day trust and love him. He's always had such telling eyes...

I turned and walked forward to take his waiting hand.

He gave me that sparkling smile of his and pulled me into his chest. "Good boy. I love you so very much. I want you to know that you can always trust me. And I want to trust you too. Coming to me and not running away was the first step. I'm so proud of you, boo." He kissed me on the top of my head, making my face flush with pride, and hand-led me back up the stairs.

God damn. He cared. Always.

In the attic, he put the chain back around my ankle. "My cousin and his girl will be here soon. He's kind of a douche and he always tries to get the best of me, so I'd really appreciate it if you stay on your ​best behavior in front of him. Oh, and be nice to his girl. She's still fragile and you don't want to offend her; I don't know how often they'll be here and you don't want things awkward between you two. Got it?"

"Got it."

"Good." He walked around me and to the window. "Looks like they're here."