Chapter 6

Clarke didn't know what to do or what to think. Does she run away? Stay and marry Bellamy? No, not marry. She won't marry him.
"No." She said, strained. He gives her a confused look.
"What?"
"Lexa made her choice." She decided. "Your love, Gina, died so you could be a light to your people. I'm not suggesting marriage and I promised my father 6 more months but... maybe after all this, we can strengthen our ties as countries. No one must marry, everyone is happy."
"What of your father's sickness?"
"What of it?"
"He confided he wished to walk you down the isle before he passes." At this, Clarke paused.
"We can't have everything." Clarke shrugged. Bellamy stayed quiet, not liking her plan too much. He couldn't put his finger on why. "What's wrong?" Clarke noticed his distant look. He shrugged.
"I just feel... reluctant for your father's sake." He decided.
"I wish I could give my father that but there's just no way I'll find someone, fall in love and marry in only a couple years." Clarke shrugged. No, but you could marry someone you already know! How am I still so awful to you? Bellamy thought to himself.
"You never know." He suggested. "Who knows, maybe you'll fall in love with Prince Wells." He suggested, making her giggle. How are you not getting my hints? Clarke thought. Am I being too suddle?
"Oh, not Wells." She made a sour face.
"Why not? He's nice, well mannored, he's not bad looking-"
"Are you trying to get me to marry him or yourself?" Clarke joked. He laughed.
"Ok, fine. Roan-"
"No." Clarke decided.
"Geesh. Is no one good enough?"
"I have high standards!" She shrugged.
"More impossible." Bellamy scoffed. "I haven't even been made aware of one of your supposed 'standards'."
"You never asked."
"Well, then. Clarke, what are your standards?"
"Girl or boy?"
"Boy for the sake of the conversation."
"Ok... he must be taller than me-"
"No. Personally."
"Ok I'm sorry." She laughed.
"I want him to be funny... doesn't get angered easily-"
"Well I'm out." He jokes and she laughs uncomfortably. Little did she know he wanted her to argue with him on that.
"I want him to be passionate... loyal... has at least half a brain."
"I'm out again." He comments and she laughs.
"... and... I want him to love me." She finished.
"Huh... I meet four out of six... not bad."
"Well what about you?"
"Me?"
"Yes, what would you want in a wife?"
"Well," He shifted uncomfortably, "uh... I'm generally into blondes-" He says before she playfully hits his arm.
"Oh, you know what I mean!" She smiled.
"Ok." He nodded. "Well... I haven't thought a lot about it."
"There has to be something."
"No, I-" Bellamy looked up to meet her eyes. "I guess... I'd like a girl who is straightforward. Truthful. I'd like a girl I can talk to like I did Gina. I'd like to marry a friend. She would laugh at my jokes, be humble... show she cares about others...and yeah, I'd want her to love me too." He finished. She smiled.
"That's sweet."
"Don't get gushy with me now." He warned, rolling his eyes. She laughed.
"Well, I'm sure you'll find her soon." Clarke assured.
"And you with whoever." He returns.

They returned to the castle late at night. Bellamy insisted he walked her to her room because it was the gentlemanly thing to do. It raised Clarke's nerves but she knew he wouldn't try anything.
"We should do this again sometime." Bellamy said, stopping in front of her door.
"I agree. It was fun." Clarke nodded.
"Wow. The brave Princess said I was fun." He pointed out, making her laugh.
"Stop calling me that. You can call me Clarke... you know that right?"
"Well sure but I'm a rebel." He leaned foreward and winked. She giggled.
"It's going to be hard being king and a rebel."
"Anything is possible, Princess." He leaned closer.
"Anything, huh?" Clarke stepped closer.
"Mmh-hmm." He agreed. It was then they realized how close they were physically. Clarke stepped back.
"Right... I'll... see you tomorrow then." She opened her door.
"Right." He straightened up. Clarke stepped in her room and looked back.
"Night." She said.
"Night." He said back. She closed the door, pressed her back to it and sighed. Upon the moment Bellamy saw her close her door, he turned away from it and breathed deeply, as if he'd been holding his breathe.