Prequel Special

What does it mean to you?

~~~

You stared at the brooch in your hand. The white crystal in the middle glowed bright with purity, not tainted in the slightest. The jewel petals glistened in the moonlight. You stared out the window and sighed.

What does it all mean?

You were young. There wasn't much you wanted. All you wanted was a happy life and a sustainable job you wouldn't mind going to for the rest of your life. But now, you're stuck in a small apartment. Very small. You glanced towards your phone.

It wasn't anything special. Just a plain smartphone. You didn't have many friends. The ones that were your friends were just co-workers.

What does it mean to the world?

It was 1:00 AM. You should be asleep but your apartment provided a beautiful view of the city. You got your phone and took a picture of it. You had done every night you were at this apartment.

After taking the photo, you climbed into bed, ready for another day of life.

Is there any meaning at all?

The alarm suddenly rang, waking you up.

"Gah!? It's 9:00 AM? Shit, I'm late!" You quickly got up, grabbing whatever was in your closet. You also hastily brushed your teeth. Rushing downstairs you poured some orange, drank it, and spit it out.

"Life hates me..." you muttered, shoving toast in your mouth. You quickly called a cab and paid them once you reached work.

"[Y/N]!" Your boss screamed. "You're very very late!"

"Yessir..." you muttered.

"This is the fourth time this WEEK."

"I'm sorry sir, it won't happen again," you replied. He glared at you.

"That's what you always say!" You winced at the volume of his voice. "[Y/N], you're FIRED!!"

~~~

Was there ever meaning?

You sighed as the ice in your iced coffee melted. You've been stirring the drink with your straw for quite a while, deep in thought.

You just lost your job. Great. You need a new one. After all, you won't last long without steady income. You were on the brink of tears.

You wiped them away, finished your coffee, and began searching for a new job.

~~~

The answer is quite simple, actually...

You returned home with no luck in finding a job. What were you going to eat? Ramen again? There was nothing in the fridge...

"Why is it always me?" The death of your mother when you were 15 started the chain of bad luck. After her death, your father murdered your younger brother. Somehow, you made it out alive...

He commited suicide soon after. Your grandparents were long dead and you couldn't think of any other relatives. Your family had been distant from your aunts and uncles. You had no one.

Luckily, you managed to find some money. You rented this apartment bought food, moved your things, and settled in.

After that, you lived in nothing but sorrow. There wasn't much purpose anymore. You had wanted to become a [profession] but your dreams of ever doing that ended when your family perished. You teared up. It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair at all!

There is no meaning.

You cried for a while before making some instant ramen.

Would anyone even care? What if I simply died? You thought.

You cried yourself to sleep that night.

Maybe I'd be better off dead.

~~~

"[Username!]" Your eyes fluttered open. A beautiful woman with long golden locks stared down at you. Her dress was a simply brown color.

"Who are you?" You ask. The lady chuckled.

"I'm not important," she replied. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine," you said. "Please, tell me...who are you?"

"If you must know..." she stared up at the blue sky. "I'm Rika."

You have to create your own destiny...

~~~

You woke up to the sound of your alarm. What was that? A dream? What was it about? You forgot...

You took your time and got dressed. You stepped out your door, locking the apartment and making your way downstairs. You made your way onto the city streets. Bored, you put in some earbuds and continued on.

"Oh, a coffee shop!" You said, seeing the the store.

"Next!" You walked towards the cashier. You ordered some Iced Coffee before opening up your internet browser.

"Mystic...Messenger?" You flipped to the App Store, intrigued by the app description. "Sure, I'll give it a go."

It soon downloaded. Meanwhile, you absentmindedly stepped out onto the streets.

HONK

You could see your life flash before your eyes. Everything you hoped to achieve, memories of your happy life before all of the tragedy, and the face of an unfamiliar man. He had ruby red eyes and pure white hair in a low ponytail. His smile was genuine.

Your eyes shut, anticipating the impact. There was no pain. As you opened your eyes, you realized you were on the street. You were perfectly fine on the sidewalk.

Ding!

There was a notification. You opened up the mystic messenger app.

A man named unknown had texted you.

~~~

...in order to truly find out what it means.

***

I hope you enjoyed this prequel sorta thing. I couldn't leave you guys with just the Epilogue.

 I'm really proud of this fanfic because it's my first one that wasn't deleted right after. But then again, I didn't finish it sorta...

Thank you for being here.

I hope you enjoyed this!

- Yume <3