Chapter 2: 9 and 3-Quarters

A.N.

Chapter Song: Stars and Sons by Broken Social Scene

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Wednesday- Day 2~

The further I walk, I wonder what the Dursleys will do when the sun rises. Will they turn my old room into a rec room or a study? I laugh to no one in particular, pulling the trunk along. To them, exercise is a sin, if not just the fact they're too damn lazy. I doubt any of those stooges are smart enough to know how to operate a light switch, let alone a computer.

Moonlight shines through the leaves in the trees, causing small rays of light to hit the dirt pathway. I adjust my glasses, ones that had been my dad's frame at one point (couldn't afford anything else), and look up at the moon. I stop for a brief moment, letting the moonlight shine in my eyes. I never get tired of watching it. It seems to speak when you're at your lowest, and gives you words of wisdom. If only people weren't so thick-skinned and stubborn, they would take heed to good advice once in awhile.

I scoff to myself and start moving again. Some good advice? I need to get my ass in gear before I get there. It'll be Saturday when I get there, I need to sleep. I pull out my old mp3 and play music, putting the buds in my ears. I let the world fold away as I feel the confidence I've never felt through this music. Music can make me, a wallflower, walk through a crowd with my head held high. I hum along, singing softly, edging closer and closer to Hogwarts. I never really considered it before, but I can start over here. Maybe, if I do make a few friends, I can start a band or something. I've always wanted to, after all. I hush the thought, no point dwelling on something that will never happen.

The closer I get, I start to notice some things. Like how the further I get, the quieter the scenery around me gets, there's more and more flat land, more dead trees, puddles of water from streams and creeks, I even saw a brook at one point. I look at my watch and sigh, looking at the horizon, the sun will rise soon. I look up again and I see a school on a cliff, a sense of calmed irritation rushes over me. Welcome home, Harry.

The path became more level as I crossed a walkway, made of grey bricks, over a steep creek. The wheels of the dolly made irritating tink-tink-tink-tink-thunk noises as I drug it along but I tried my best to ignore it. As soon as my sneakers reached grass, I wanted to kiss it. So much dirt and mud on the way here, and now I'm greeted with beautiful grass. Such luck! I walk through the open arch and go to the center courtyard. One small light from the office remained on, lighting up the otherwise dark square.

I walked into the main office, collected my info and went to the Lion dorm, Crimson division- The boys' rooms. I got roomed with the other guys in my grade, all of which were gone from their beds. I sighed, but I didn't bother, changing in the dark and getting in bed. As I pulled the blanket over my head, I felt the sun rise as Castiel laid beside me, curling up beside my face. I dreamed of the Saturday to come when the sun rose. It was nothing I ever could have expected.

When I wake up and check my phone clock, close to 8am, I look around and everyone is still asleep in bed. Half-dressed and falling off their beds, in fact. I sigh and nudge sleepy Castiel with my finger before he runs lazily up my arm to lay on my shoulders. I set up his cage and put him inside. I look around and notice my roommates. Many of them don't have animals but I see one frog in a case and a rat in a cage. I shrug and walk towards the dining hall, I'm starving, I haven't eaten since 5am yesterday.

I'm barefoot with baggy sweat pants and a band tee, on my way to the dining hall. Well, I feel stupid. Then I think, since it's so quiet, that means no one is around, right? I keep walking, remembering the map I'd gotten this morning, and soon get there in the knick of time. The people are just finishing setting up and only one student is there. I get my food, 3 pancakes and lots of bacon, and sit about two tables away from the other student.

I'm about to pour syrup on my pancake when I realize I'd forgotten it. I leave my plate and stand, heading for the doors when I hear a voice that must be the other student's.

"Are you new here? I've never seen you before."

I look over at him, is he talking to me?

A ghost of a smile crosses his face, "Yes, I'm talking to you."

I nod, "Yeah, got here early this morning."

He waves his hand, "Come sit with me, I don't bite."

I don't care if this guy is suspicious, I need a friend here.

"As soon as I get syrup." I say.

He laughs softly, "They're at the tables."

I look back over at my table and see a small tabletop heater with a container on it, dammit.

He laughs again, smiling, "Come on, get your stuff, I'll share mine."

I grab my plate and sit directly across from him. He smiles pleasantly, eating slowly.

"I'm Harry, Harry Potter." I say nervously.

He swallows his food and holds out his hand, "Draco Malfoy."

I shake his hand and pour the syrup and butter on my pancakes, smiling. Well, that was painless.