Chapter 29: O' Departed Joys

A.N.
Chapter song: I Can't Help Falling in Love with You by Elvis Presley

------

I jerked left and right, but suddenly I couldn't move and I saw Draco standing over me, crying as he shook me. "Harry, Harry! Are you okay?! Wake up! Please!"

My eyes flew open and I saw Draco watching me with worried eyes, void of tears, holding my shoulders. I had been dreaming. I felt myself shaking, my hair stuck to my forehead and slick with sweat. "Harry... you scared the hell out of me. What kind of nightmare makes you thrash like that?"

"I remembered something unpleasant... I'm fine, go back to sleep." I mutter, turning away from him. I hear him sigh and slip into bed next to me.

"I'm here, Harry, so try to forget the bad things." His voice is groggy again, and I feel his back against mine as he pats my thigh reassuringly. "Sweet dreams."

"I need to calm down. I can't sleep like this." I muttered to myself.

"Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Promise me you'll tell me about your dream in the morning."

"I promise."

"Do you mean it?"

"Mhm." I felt my eyes get heavier, and I knew I was falling asleep.

"Harry?" He turned toward me, the bed's springs squeaking quietly.

"Yeah?"

"This is going to be the best holiday break I've ever had, and it's thanks to you."

I turned to face him and find myself looking in his eyes, "Goodnight, Draco."

"Goodnight, Harry."

...

~Thursday: Day 10~

I feel the sun graze against my eyes and I squint them open, getting out of bed. Noticing the curtains flying in the breeze, I go out onto the balcony. Draco is leaning forward against the railing, his bare back shining in the sun.

"Hey, Back-Freckles." I joke, poking at some of the dark circles coating his shoulder blades.

"That's Mister Back-Freckles to you," he grinned, wrapping an arm around my shoulder and pulling me towards the railing. "I hope you're ready because we have a busy day ahead of us."

"I never asked yesterday, but why are we going to have a busy day?"

"Oh, it was supposed to be a surprise but I suppose I can spoil it. We're going shopping today. I need some clothes for the parties and so do you, as well as a wardrobe change because you have as much style as a ten year old." I smacked his arm and he caught my wrist, laughing at me, "I recant, that's offensive to ten-year-olds."

"Why, I ought'ta!"

He catches my other wrist, mid-swing, and laughs at me. I felt my heart race as I laughed with him, I felt like I was staring in his eyes too long but I couldn't look away. I feel heat rise in my cheeks and suddenly he drops my wrists, "Sorry." I wanted to tell him he didn't have to apologize, that I didn't mind, but his smile had already dropped into a frown. "Let's go on out, shall we? We can grab some breakfast once we're in the shopping district." I nod slowly as we enter back into the bedroom, checking Castiel's food and water and Draco checked Zorro's.

I change into a loose t-shirt with Bam Bam on it and a pair of baggy jeans, but Draco took care in what he wore. He put on a fitted, white Beatles tee with a brown leather jacket over it, paired with a pair of straight skinny jeans that were a dark blue with a pair of black converse and wrapped a black muffler around his neck before strapping on a couple leather cuffs per wrist. Being the first time I've seen him out of pj's or uniform, he looked damn good, I thought to myself as we brushed our teeth in the bathroom. Once we finished, we head downstairs and to his motorcycle without a word spoken between us.

He handed me my helmet after putting his on and I got on the bike behind him, wrapping my arms around his waist. I leaned the side of my helmet on his back, watching the lakeside, and tightened my arms around his stomach. "Draco, you don't have to buy me anything," I found myself saying.

Pulling up to a stoplight, I heard him sigh into his microphone, "I want to, please just accept my offer without any fuss." I made a scoff of reluctant agreement and suddenly remembered my dream from the night before, after the one with Dudley and I let myself zone out.

In my dream, I was standing in a field with a single tree in the distance. I could easily recognize it as the willow from Hogwarts, but the land was empty and flat with lush grass several inches tall. The wind blew through the grass and it tickled my ankles, the long, hanging branches and leaves brushing against my cheek. I brushed my palm atop the tall grass, and I looked up and Draco was standing against the wind. He was wearing his uniform, but his tie was absent and his shirt unbuttoned. His eyes were closed and his complacent smile made it seem as if he was being embraced by the breeze. The wind didn't whistle in my ears, his shirt didn't make any flapping noises, and- although I don't know how I knew- I couldn't hear his silent humming. I reached out my hand and caressed his cheek. He smiled, his eyes welling up with tears, and as I leaned in for a kiss the dream ended.

I heard Draco humming, snapping me out of my daze, and the song suddenly hit me. I recognized the song from somewhere, but I just couldn't place it. "What song is that?" I asked, my mind still lingering on the distance between us, even though we're so close. We pull into a parking garage and we put our helmets under the seat and locking up the bike before heading out onto the strip.

"Bonnie Doon. My mother used to sing it to me," he says suddenly, humming the song again.

"They say those who hum beautifully can sing well too." I remembered where I heard it, then, it was an Irish folk song.

"I am more of a guitar kind of guy."

"Will you play for me sometime?"

He shoves his hands in his pockets, his scarf covering the lower half of his face that barely reveals a shy smile, "I'd love to."