Chapter 12: Here's the Truth (Part 2 of 2)

Chapter song: Tomorrow by SR-71

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

His eyes darted around, catching his train of thought before he spoke again.

"Black is your godfather. He and your father were very close, according to the files; he was sent to Azkaban Prison for the Criminally Insane years ago for illegal drug possession and production- meth, apparently; he was also charged for accessory to murder- he got about 30 years, starting a year after your parents' deaths."

"Lupin was put in a lower-security jail for accessory... and involuntary manslaughter at some bar fight in Trenton, New Jersey- his arrest was a bit after Black's. Pettigrew was placed in prison on accessory, that's it but last I heard he may have got back in jail recently from assault on a pregnant woman which led to pregnancy termination and rape of the same woman, there was no real evidence to tie him to the crime against your parents other than circumstances. He was the first of the three to be arrested."

I run a hand through my hair, "You're babbling." I say it softly, offhandedly.

"Sorry." he bites his thumbnail before looking back at me.

"Anyway, there's definitely a lot more people in that group than we know of but they're very well hidden. If not for the fact Pettigrew was a snitch, the cops would've never known about it."

I nod for what feels like the trillionth time, I feel numb. I feel as if my heart is being burned from my chest.

"You mentioned my scar... what do you mean he didn't finish it?"

I can tell he's biting his tongue, biding his time until I force it out of him. He's told me too much already, so I wait.

"He was given the name because when he did it, he carved the Capricorn symbol into your parents' chests."

"So you're saying he cut them after they were dead? Why would he... wait. They weren't dead, were they?"

He shakes his head, "I'm afraid not, Harry."

Suddenly, I feel a question aching in my gut.

"How did they die? My parents?"

He bites the inside of his cheek, "They were mutilated, disemboweled, and throat cut from ear to ear; he was going to do the same to you but someone called the cops and he was shot by an officer before being apprehended. He died on his way to the hospital. They said he had slight schizophrenic tendencies and that may be some of the cause of what he did."

I know that right now, to Neville, I seemed to be taking this well. On the inside, however, I was barely able to keep from throwing up.

I hated this man.

I knew I did, even if he was dead.

Oh, come now Harry, that's impolite.

The voice is back, I think to myself. The goosebumps that I managed to hold off earlier came back full throttle.

"Neville, I'll be up to bed in a bit, I need to think this over."

He nods and scurries upstairs, like the wonderful, understanding friend he is. I run to the bathroom and puke into a toilet nearby, my gut wrenching.

Come on, Harry, what's wrong now? Don't you miss me?

No, I don't, actually. I can't believe you're actually surprised.

I feel him sigh in disinterest, Yeah, okay, I see how it is.

I make the long walk back towards the dorms when I bump into Severus in the hall.

"Hello, Mr. Potter, you should be in bed. It's past curfew, you must be well aware."

I agree absently, "I'm well aware, Professor, I just had to throw up is all."

Concern flashed in his eyes, "Oh, well, in that case. Come on, I believe I have something for that in my quarters."

I follow him quietly, knowing there would be no way I could face Neville right now.

Once we get there I notice the only real personal items in the small room is a small wooden medicine cabinet, a picture frame with what I guess to be him and my mom as children, and a small bookshelf lined with textbooks as well as novels.

"Here we are. Chew on it."

I take two and chew on them, ignoring the gross raspberry flavoring.

"Now, what made you feel so sick? Is it because you skipped dinner?"

I shake my head, "I was told something unpleasant, is all."

Understatement of the century. "Really? And what was that?"

"Well, how my parents were murdered, for starters."

He looks a bit off-balanced as he steadies himself with his palm on the bedpost.

"I'm guessing the Granger girl told you."

I sit on the edge of his bed, "No, why would she know anything about it? Neville told me."

He closes his eyes briefly, sighing, "Well, her mother and father were the ones who called the police and ambulance."

I hear whispers from the voice but ignore them again, "Why would they-"

He answers quickly, "They were neighbors at the time. You and Ms. Hermione Granger had never met, though."

"Why do you know so much?"

Immediately, I regret asking but my curiosity outweighed my etiquette.

"Well," he swallows hard, avoiding eye contact to stare at the black carpet.

"Your mother and I had fought while in school so I finally got the nerve to make a formal apology and the front door was open. Your mother being as careful woman as she was, she would never leave a door unlocked. I ran up to where I heard crying which is where I found you and your mother... and your father. I shoved him off of you and ran with you out of the house, he left a nasty scar on my leg. Anyway, the Grangers called authorities and I went with you to the hospital but left once your relatives arrived."

"The Dursleys..." I said dumbfoundedly.

"Yeah, I think that was their names. Quite an odd couple, they were. Very whiny."

I stand, rubbing my scar again.

"Thanks, Severus, for saving me back then."

He looks at me, concerned. "Are you alright? You look a bit pale."

I felt the world sway around me and suddenly I felt the floor. I heard Snape yell muffled curses before hefting me into his arms and walking briskly towards the hospital wing.

Then, I blacked out.