Chapter Two

A/N: Here is the second chapter! I am very grateful for every single read, let alone vote or comment, so if you enjoy this, it would be absolutely amazing to hear from you. Thank you so much!

*Flashback – 6 weeks prior to Camila's wedding*

With a rush of hot air and a thunderous clattering, the subway train stormed into the station. The second the doors opened, the crowd of commuters surged forward into the carriage. Lauren struggled through the throng and took hold of the handrail to steady herself as the train took off again.

Sweeping her eyes about the carriage, Lauren saw a sea of faces looking as exhausted as she felt. These early morning journeys to the office were tiring; she far preferred working from home. The only benefit of commuting was that it gave her some time to herself; she could just put her earphones in, listen to music, and switch off for a while.

Lauren found her gaze drifting down to the woman sat in the seat below her. She had her phone out and was scrolling aimlessly through various social media sites. As Lauren watched her, the woman suddenly came to a single picture onscreen. It looked like an ordinary couple's photo to Lauren, but the woman froze, thumb hovering shakily over the image.

Her reaction made it obvious that something about the picture was significant, and Lauren wondered if she should lean over and ask if she was alright. The woman scarcely moved for almost five minutes before just locking her phone and shoving it into her bag without a second look. At the next station, she quickly grabbed her belongings and half ran out of the train.

It took Lauren a second to realise that this was also her stop. She had been so engrossed in her own theories about what the importance of the photo could have been, that she had lost track of where she was. Stepping out of the carriage, she found her way through the station and up and out onto the main street.

As she walked the final few blocks to Jauregui Marketing Agency's building, she found herself wondering who or what she would have to see in an image to provoke a reaction like that from herself. Was there even anything?

Rounding the final corner, the JMA skyscraper met her gaze; a tower of gleaming glass and steel making its own unique mark on the city skyline. She quickly shook herself back to reality, and hurried across the busy road, dodging taxis and cars as she did. When she stepped through the revolving doors into the large lobby of JMA's premises, security guards checked her ID, before allowing her inside to take the elevator to her floor.

The lift was all glass, and glided up smoothly through storey after storey of clean and modern offices; each full of experts keeping the Jauregui marketing empire prospering. Her chest filled with a sense of pride as she observed everything that she and her family had managed to build.

Normani Kordei was there to greet her as the elevator doors slid open.

"Good morning, Lauren,"

"Normani," Lauren smiled, extending her hand to shake the other woman's warmly, "You're well, I trust?"

"Very," Normani responded cheerily, "I've just spoken to one of our biggest clients and they are over the moon at what the branding department have produced for them. We've yet to show them what the media team have devised, but I'm certain that they'll love it,"

"That's great," Lauren replied distractedly, her focus drawn promptly to the buzzing in her pocket.

"Is that your phone?" Normani asked.

"I'm sorry," Lauren grimaced, "I'll be right back. I just need to take this,"

"It's fine," chuckled Normani, "If you do need anything further then feel free to come by my office or drop me an email. I'm in all day,"